one

-//-

1st of September, Thursday, 1977

(Welcome Home, Son//Radical Face)

"I have a house," Andrea mumbled out through a mouthful of food. Mia froze across from her. "I'm sorry, dear, what was that?"

Andrea shrugged and shovelled more pancakes into her mouth. "I just mean for after school, the three of us can live together. Even Peter and Remus can come. Because as I said, I have a house."

"What house do you have?" Monty asked absentmindedly, still reading the newspaper. James furrowed his brows at his father. "Russo Mansion, Dad," he explained, automatically grabbing Andrea's hand under the table as he finished eating.

Monty stopped at that, his mug of tea halfway to his lips. "The Mansion... Wait. You got the house in their will?" he asked her, genuinely surprised on the subject. Andrea nodded, still preoccupied with finishing her breakfast.

Mia looked up in shock at that too. "What about Jadah, Gian or Rico? You aren't sharing it?"

Andrea pointed to her mouth, still chewing, and gestured to James or Sirius for help to explain.

Sirius took over with a charmful smile. "No. The other three have no plans of staying in England or moving here, all three of them are grown up and already have homes Marco and Aisha helped them buy, so this is the house they covered for Andrea. And as for your suggestion, New York, Remus and I have already found us a flat in London. But we'll be happy to come and visit the rest of you."

James went to answer but Mia intercepted, pulling out the chair next to Sirius around the breakfast table. "But when are you planning on moving out?" Sirius glanced at James, who quickly shook his head.

Every time one of the boys mentioned moving or what they were going to do after school, Mia would burst into tears, sometimes happy and sometimes sad, crying over her baby boys all grown up.

"Not sure yet. We'll probably talk more about it over the school year," he answered her carefully. Monty snorted, finishing his tea as he saw the obvious lies from the boys. But he let it slide, seeing as he was often the one who had to comfort the crying Mia, and they didn't have time for that today.

Mia let out a relieved sigh, her shoulders relaxing for a second. James quickly jumped in, dragging the conversation to safer waters as Mia hurried around again, trying to get everything ready before the kids left.

"Hey, Mum, what goes up but never comes down?" he smiled proudly. Mia huffed as she tried to pack all their lunches. "I don't know James, maybe the amount of stress you bring into my life?" she retorted sarcastically. Andrea and Sirius bit down on anything they could to contain their laughter at the appaled look that came over James.

"Age..." he mumbled, finishing his tea.

Not hearing what he said, Mia started shooing the kids off to get the rest of their things before they left for the train station.

James grabbed Andrea's hand and pulled her up the stairs with him to help pack the rest of his things. "I thought you didn't want to move into the house next year," he questioned her, stuffing last-minute pieces of clothing into his trunk.

Andrea walked over and folded the things he had ungracefully shoved into his luggage, returning them folded to the trunk. "I don't. Not really anyway. But if we want to move out next year, and we have a house just sitting there, why not use it?"

James stopped rushing around and pulled Andrea in for a comforting hug. "Bambs, when we get a house together, it's not just gonna be a house. It's gonna be a home. And you don't settle when it comes to your home. You get all your dreams to come true." He kissed the top of her head and slammed the lid of his trunk shut.