Chapter 10 - The Hunt (Part 1)

Hey everyone! I'm sorry, I know this is a few days overdue. I'm on spring break, and have had a lot to do. This chapter was super long, so I split it into two parts. The first part is kind of a filler, but I swear the second part is more interesting. Also, I did not include a song in this chapter because I'm trying it out without them. Let me know if you liked it better with or without the songs.

The next day, we decided to have a group outing. We all decided to go to a shopping mall that wasn't too far away. I wasn't the biggest fan of shopping and even less a fan of shopping malls. I try my best to not buy too many unnecessary things, and malls just have too many temping and utterly useless items. I had an awesome idea to make the trip to the mall more eventful, and hopefully more fun too. The only person I told my idea to was Louis. We agreed to wait until we got to the mall to tell the others.

After I printed a few copies of my plans. I walked out to see everyone was waiting in the living room for Paul to pick us up. As if on cue, a car horn sounded from outside. We walked out to see Paul in the driver's seat of a large black van. We piled in while he looked at all of with a shocked expression. "You're all ready. I didn't have to wait. Who are you and what did you do with the boys I know?" He said while staring each of them down, then he added, "Not that it's bad. Actually, mind making a habit of it?"

"Very funny." Zayn said, his voice full of sarcasm. After a bit more bickering, they finally settled the matter. Twenty minutes later, we arrived at the mall. I got out of the car and began to look around. We were meeting Perrie and Jade here. Sadly, Jessy and Leigh-Anne were busy today. I soon spotted two girls a few yards away with their heads down, trying to not draw attention to themselves.

I ran up to them, forgetting to be as discrete as I should have been. Since we were all in disguises today, I decided to skip the mask because it would only draw attention. The second the others caught up, they began asking questions about what I had been planning. They had also asked when we were in the car, but I had told them to wait until we were all together. Standing next to me was Louis, who had a smirk plastered across his face. I think he was enjoying the fact that he knew something that they didn't.

"Okay, okay. I'll tell you. Just please stop asking!" I finally snapped. I couldn't take their insistent pestering any longer.

"Yayyyy!!!!!" They all cheered, as I began to share my plans.

"We are going to have a..." I paused right before saying it to add dramatic effect, "SCAVENGER HUNT!"

They all looked at me with faces full of happiness. "So how are we going to do this?" Niall asked curiously.

"First, we need to divide into groups of three, and then..." Before I could finish, I was cut off by them fighting over who would be in what group. I just stood there in amusement until I got pulled into someone's group by my arm. I turned around to see that Louis was the one that had grabbed me.

After a long period of time filled with bickering, we were finally in three groups of three. My team included Louis, Eleanor, and myself. The next team was made of Harry, Jade, and Niall. The last group consisted of Zayn, Perrie, and Liam, Once we were all settled, I told everyone the small set of rules. The rules were: 1) Everyone must be back by 1pm (an hour and a half from now) whether all of the items have been collected or not, 2) If a group gets all of the items early, which I refuse to believe is possible, they need to go back to our meeting spot (the fountain in the middle of the mall), 3) Do not get caught by any security guards, 4) You can't buy anything and 5) Do not break any mall rules, other than having a scavenger hunt. I wasn't totally sure if it was against the rules, but it probably was.

I made sure everyone agreed to follow the rules, before handing each group a slip of paper that listed the various items we needed to collect. The items on the paper were:

- Take-out menu from food court

- Bag of as much trash as you can find (can't be from trash can)

- Shopping bag

- Piece of gift-wrap paper

- Buy 1 get 1 free coupon

- Price tag

- 3 business cards

- Store catalogue

- Map of the mall

- Something broken the store was going to throw away

- Stranger's autograph

- French frie (can't buy it)

- Clearance sticker

- Employee application

- A penny off the ground

- Empty shoebox

After quickly reading through the list, each group took off in a different direction. Our group headed towards the food court first. Louis ran over to one of the counters, and grabbed a menu. While he did that, I searched the floor for a french frie. Eventually, I found one and used a napkin to pick it up and placed it in our bag. While Louis and I were busy, Eleanor managed to find a map of the mall. So far, we were of to a great start.

Our next stop was Toys R Us. While we ran towards the building, I got to thinking about the title. I wonder how many kids brainwashed, and think that is correct grammar and how to write "are"? I brushed it off as we ran in through the automatic doors. I almost ran into the doors because they were opening so slowly.

I took the lead this time, and walked up to the front desk. "Hello, how may I help you ma'am?" The kind lady behind the desk greeted.

"Hi, I was just wondering if you had any broken toys that you may have been planning to throw out?" I asked, hoping it wasn't as weird of a thing to ask as I thought it was.

She gave me a weird look before replying, "We may, but why would you want that?"

I thought quickly, and finally came up with a good story, "It's for a school project. I need the parts of a broken toy, and thought it would be better if I could use one that is already broken, instead of buying a new toy and taking a hammer to it."

She still seemed a bit weary, probably because I looked a bit old to be a high school student, but eventually left to go find one. After a few minutes she returned with a box that contained a plastic toy. I couldn't even tell what shape all the colorful plastic pieces had been in because it was so broken. What could possible have happened in a toy store that broke this toy into so many pieces?

"Is that all you need?" The lady asked.

"Actually, I need one more thing. Could you maybe gift wrap it for me?"

This time she gave me an even more disbelieving look, but did it anyways. I think she was getting annoyed, and just wanted to get me out of the store. After wrapping it up, she slipped into a shopping bag, and handed it to me. I walked back over to Louis and Eleanor, who seemed to be in a weird conversation. I couldn't hear them from here, but Louis had a pained expression on his face. I decided to ignore it for the time being, and ran up to them with the bag in my hand.

"I got three more of the items! Come on, let's go!" I said excitedly, as I walked to the door, dragging them with me.

Right before we left, Louis snatched something up from a stand just inside the building. When we got outside, I turned to him and gave him a pointed look, "What did you just steal?"

"I didn't steal anything. You may have noticed that the alarm didn't go off. I just picked up a store catalogue. It's free for anyone to take. It's another of the items." Louis replied with proud smile planted across his face.

As we walked around the mall in search of our next target, Louis spotted a trashcan that looked like it had been rummaged through. Technically we would not be getting it from the trashcan because someone (or something) had already taken care of that. Louis chased down as many pieces of trash he could, while Eleanor and I figured out where we would put. Eleanor took the gift-wrapped broken toy out of the shopping bag, and placed it in the bag we had to carry the rest of our items. We Louis returned, he put all of the trash he had gathered in the shopping bag.

I hope you liked this update. I promise the next one will be better. Let me know in the comments what you thought of how this chapter didn't have a song in it, and any other feedback you have. Big thanks to every single person that reads this story. I love you all!!!!!