CHAPTER SIX

Lizzie tried her best not to worry about her boyfriend and Gally as she watched them run across the street

Lizzie tried her best not to worry about her boyfriend and Gally as she watched them run across the street. "Okay, they're through." Thomas noticed and Lizzie stood up, looking through the fence to look at their surroundings. She frowned because it seemed like there wasn't any other place they could go that wouldn't get them caught in the battle.

She kneels again, glancing at Thomas with a grimaced expression. She sighs. "We're gonna have to go out there, aren't we?"

After he stood to look around, he kneels and faces her and grimaces. "I'm afraid there's no other choice."

Newt began to breath heavily again and gag lightly. Lizzie looked at him worriedly, seeing that he was staring out at the direction of the fire, acting as if he was zoning out. Thomas got to Newt before she could and Thomas shook Newt out of his daze, bringing the blonde boy back to them. Lizzie hated how Newt looked like he had no clue what was happening.

"We're gonna try this." Thomas speaks softly. "We gotta move, now. Let's get you up, come on." Lizzie tried to take one of Newt's arms while Thomas took the other, but it was difficult since Newt was fighting them.

"No!" Newt protested.

"Newt, come on." Lizzie speaks in a soft but urgent voice, ignoring the tears threatening to leave her eyes. She hated seeing someone she cared about being in pain. "We can help you, but we gotta go."

"No," Newt shakes his head. "You guys, stop!" He grabbed at the necklace he wore, tugging as hard as he could to get it off.

"No, Newt." Thomas shakes his head, trying to get Newt to move with him and Lizzie. "Later. Later. Come on."

Newt finally gets the necklace off and holding it out to Thomas. "Look, you gotta take this."

"We gotta get you up, now." Thomas voiced.

"No, just take it!" Newt screamed and that's what made Lizzie stop helping him get up on his feet. Since she had been kneeling, she sat on the ground and she was frozen in shock. Newt never raised his voice. This was the first time she saw Newt yell at someone. Thomas looked at Newt with shock, not expecting him to yell. Newt panted, his eyes widening as if he hadn't known he'd screamed, but when Thomas grabbed the necklace, he didn't apologize.

Newt's gaze softens and so does his voice as he looks at Thomas with a pleading expression. "Please. Please, Tommy. Please."

"Okay." Thomas nodded. It was clear he didn't know what else to say and Lizzie didn't blame him because she didn't know what to say either.  

Newt reaches to his right where Lizzie sat and grabs her arm to get her attention. She quickly wipes away the tear that had fell down her cheek and wipes the tears from her eyes. She looks at him with a sad smile. He returns the sad smile, weakly reaching into his pocket of his jacket to hand her something. Lizzie takes ahold of what he hands her, glancing down at her hand to find a beaded bracelet. The beads were different shades of purple and the bracelet was hooked together with a silver capsule that had a screw-on cap.