CHAPTER ONE

Once  they landed, they were immediately ushered out of the helicopter

Once they landed, they were immediately ushered out of the helicopter. Lizzie already went along with the others, but Minho stayed back because Thomas fell asleep so he woke him up. There were these things on the hills of sand near them and she hated how they sound. The men called them Cranks, but she had no idea what they were.

She glanced over her shoulder to make sure Thomas and Minho were following them. Once she knew they were, she continued running towards the building that was in front of them. When they were inside, the door immediately shut closed.

Lizzie pulls her hair up into a pony tail, but kept some hairs in the front down as she looked around at the room they were in. It somewhat looked like a storage room, there were a lot of boxes and even some armed men walking around. They were led to another room where they were kept for a while. Lizzie was pretty sure she even fell asleep. She sat up whenever she heard the metal squeak of the door opening. She got up along with the others as a man appeared at the door.

"You kids doing alright?" He asks, walking towards him. "Sorry about all of the fuss." He apologizes. "We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?" Thomas asked him.

The man didn't seem familiar to Lizzie and she honestly wasn't for sure if they should trust him. The man smiles. "I'm the reason you're all are still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way."

"Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away." He gestured for them to follow and then started walking away.

Lizzie shares a concerned look with Minho before they all hesitantly followed the man. "You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place." The man, Janson, introduced himself. 

"For us this place is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world." Janson continued to say and Lizzie furrowed her eyebrows, wondering what he meant by horrors.

"You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves." Janson pointed to some electrical wiring that was broken as they walked past it.

"That mean you're talking us home?" Thomas questioned. Lizzie glanced at Janson with a hopeful glint in her eyes. She doesn't even really remember what her home was. She just wanted to go to some place where she felt safe and comfortable. 

Janson looks back at Thomas and nods. "A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge outside of the scorch where WICKED will never find you again." He looks back at them with a smile. "How does that sound?" He asked them before he turned back around and he continued walking.

"Why are you helping us?" Minho inquired, glancing at Janson suspiciously. 

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation." Janson replies. "We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival."