CHAPTER TEN

The group runs around a corner with Thomas leading them

The group runs around a corner with Thomas leading them. Lizzie was in front, running alongside Minho and Teresa. They run past section three, and past the place that Minho called Blades when Thomas told them they were almost there.

They hid behind a wall suddenly. "Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked Thomas who looked down at the hallway seeing a Griever at the other end.

"Yeah." Thomas replied.

"Here, take this Chuck." Minho handed Chuck the device they got from the Griever Thomas killed.

"Make sure you stay behind us." Thomas told him, putting his hand on Chuck's shoulder. 

Teresa smiles reassuringly at him while putting her hair up into a pony tail. "Just stick with me, Chuck."

"Pretty sure it will activate the door to open. We have to stick together. We get out now, or we die trying." Thomas said, looking at the Gladers. "Ready?" He asked everyone.

Lizzie grins as she got her weapon that was a knife out while everyone got ready. "Let's go!" Thomas yelled and everyone ran around the corner.

The floor they ran on a walkway, and each side of it was emptiness where she had a feeling Grievers were at. The group ran at the Griever, aiming their weapons at it. Many of them had long sticks that they used to hit the Griever with, trying to knock it over the edge while not trying to fall off the other edge in the process.

The Griever grabbed one of the Gladers, throwing him over the edge. One of the legs broke through the floor right in front of Lizzie and Teresa. They used their weapons to cut it, but they accidentally knocked the device out of Chuck's hand, sending it flying away, landing a few feet away from them. Chuck ran towards the device, and Lizzie panicked. "Chuck!" She yelled as she and Teresa ran after him, making sure he wouldn't fall off while the others kept the Griever distracted.

Chuck manages to get the device before it fell over the edge just as a Griever from below started climbing up to where he was. "Oh no." He mumbled. Lizzie and Teresa quickly pulled him back up, and away from the edge. Lizzie looked over at the others to see they knocked the Griever off. The three of them ran back to the others when two Grievers started climbing up on either side.

They run towards the door while the others quickly tried to keep the Grievers away. The wall open and Chuck grins. "It worked."

"Go!" Thomas exclaimed as he and some of the others held off the Grievers.

Lizzie hoped that they would eventually follow them as they ran down the hallway to, and into a dark tunnel. It was small, and at the end of it they found a metal door. They immediately tried looking for a way out as the other Gladers started making their way back to them.

She glances over her shoulder, seeing that they were losing a few of the Gladers. She looked back at the door when it lit up with different numbers. "It's a code." Lizzie realized and Teresa nodded.