Chapter 9

LEXY'S P.O.V

Congratulations!
You are officially joining the Orlando State University undergraduates Department of Music Studies, year 2015.

"Mom, I made it."

"Oh I'm so proud of you honey." She sniffed. "We're so proud of you."

"I miss you." I whispered.

"I miss you too pretty girl. Well, enough with the heavy thing. How's Orlando now?"

"Quiet." I stared out from my window. "Too quiet."

"Alex..." Her voice was cracked too but she hid it too well.

"How's Daddy?"

"He's getting better. Remember baby, one thing that separates you from success is the way you get to it. Maybe hard. But will be worth it."

"Hmm." I couldn't hold my tears stream. "Mom I gotta go. The OSU admission calling."

"Okay okay sweetheart. Take care."

"I love you."

"Love you more."

I ended Mom's call and immediately answered another one. "Good morning."

"Good morning Ms. Jones! My name is Gina from Music Department." A cheerful female voice answered me.

"Oh hello Ms. Gina how you doing? Please just call me Lexy." I replied.

"I'm doing well, thank you. Lexy, have you received the email?"

"I have. Thank you very much. I'm so happy to join OSU."

"Congratulations for that. So I really have an offer. This is only for some students we think have special condition. Based on your SAT score and application, we offer you a free studio apartment inside the campus."

I was in shocked. Tried to sit on my bed. She just said what? An apartment? I don't even know there's such thing like that. Besides, my parents have prepared me to live here with the cousins. What would an apartment do to me?

"An...apartment." I murmured. "But correct me if I'm wrong Ms. Gina..."

"Just Gina."

"Right. Uhm. I read something on the website and it says the apartment will cost us a bit higher because it's inside the campus. I don't have..."

"Honey, probably you don't listen. For you, it's free. There's this studio apartment, only 1 room with all bedroom and small kitchen like a hotel room for you to use. Don't think about the cost."

"Oh my gosh..." I shook my head. So this is the sign I should leave home?

"Unfortunately we have to have the answer right now, Lexy. There are total of 10 apartments to be offered to 15 students. I call you first because your score is higher than them all."

"I...uh..."

I stared at this wall where I could be just trapped in Veronica's drama for the next 4 years. Or I take the chance and live happily inside the campus. Maybe it'd be better.

"I'll take it."

"You take it? Wow okay you're in!" Ms. Gina cheered again.

"Thank you so much for the kind treatment." I swept my tears away. God saved me one more time.

"My pleasure honey. Now you're in. When will you move? We are open all weekdays as long as classes are opened. Feel free to contact me thru this number, or come to my office later to sign the apartment document. I suggest you to move in before the orientation begin."

"Thank you. I will come by tomorrow morning." I smiled widely. The thing I've never done for so long.

"Excellent! I'll be there. So, catch up with you soon? Good morning, have a nice day."

"Good morning Gina. Have a nice day to you too."

I smiled like a little kid with cotton candy. This is a chance for me to focus on important things. My own cousin has hated me too much. There's no way we could fix that without adding anymore drama. So let me go out from this house. Maybe it's just some miles away from home. But having my own space is a good chance. I would no longer hold onto my uncle and aunty's hands. They should feed me no more. Let's get out of here.