Ugly #23

It's been two days and I tried my best to avoid staying at home as much as possible. The only reason why I haven't stopped sleeping at home is because I didn't want to leave Daddy alone. Later that same day, my mother called and tried to explain why she can't be around my father for a while. I didn't even object, I didn't say a word even if I had a few things to say.

Simula pa lang ay ganoon na talaga kami ni Avis. We don't interlope with our parents business because we know that they would work it out. They love each other too much. At isa pa, hindi kami sanay sumagot kay Mommy at Daddy. It would be a futile attempt to make them see reason and nag them about fixing their mess.

Tinawagan ko si Avis pagkatapos ng klase ko noong mismong araw na iyon. Nakipagkita ako sa apartment na tinuturing ko lang pit stop. Ikinuwento ko kay Avis ang buong pangyayari at katulad ko ay nasaktan din siya. 

Avis, even cold, still has feelings. Kung ako ay sanay na hindi ipakita ang sakit, mas higit pa doon si Avis. She can trick anyone into thinking that she can't feel at all. Kung siguro nasa isang operating room si Avis at sinabihan siya na walang gagamitin na anesthesia sa kanya makukuha ka pa niyang ngisian. She's the perfect combination of Daddy and Mommy. Sometimes I envy her, sometimes I don't. 

Sometimes, I think of how lucky she was for keeping a stoic expression even when she's at pain. I envied how she could pretend that she couldn't feel a thing. But most of the time, I can't help but think how much a burden it was to be treated like you can't feel a thing. Kapag kasi pinakita mo sa tao na okay lang sayo, hindi sila magdadalawang isip na gawin ang bagay na akala nila ay ayos lang kahit na ang totoo, nasasaktan ka na. 

I wonder how hurt she was. I wonder how long she could bottle her emotions like that. 

"Should I try asking mom to just talk it out with Dad?" Avis asked, massaging her forehead with her hands. I leaned back on the small thing that I dare to even call a couch as she quickly supplied her sentence. "I've already checked up on Dad's. He's wrecked. And we both know Dad."

She's right. Kilalang-kilala namin si Daddy. Kahit na pakiramdam niya ay si Mommy ang mali, kaya niyang humingi ng tawad at akuin na may kasalanan siya. That's how Dad fiercely loves Mommy. Si Mommy naman ay kahit mas madami pang pride kaysa sa detergent company, hindi naman niya kayang tiisin si Daddy sa oras na nilambing na siya nito.

I nodded at her. "Of course. I don't like seeing them fight. And you should go home, too." my lips were pursed and Avis sighed.

"I will. I just needed to clear my mind." tinitigan ko lang ang kapatid ko. Avis is hard to read but I have an inkling why she needed the space. I thought of how to confirm my assumptions without being too obvious.

"And Luke Dashiel was looking for you. Sabi niya you're not answering his texts and calls."

Biglang lumamig ang aura ni Avis sa sinabi ko. Sa biglaang pagkawala ng kahit anong emosyon sa mukha at mga mata niya pa lang ay halata na tama nga ako. It's because of Luke Dashiel. "Like what I said, I needed the time to clear my head."

I sighed. "He's really worried, Ate. Please give him some peace of mind and text him that you're okay, for me, please?"