09. griever breakout

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

UPON ENTERING THE DIMLIT HUT, Andie gulped at the sight of Alby

UPON ENTERING THE DIMLIT HUT, Andie gulped at the sight of Alby. He sat lifelessly still at the edge of his bed, sweat dripping down his neck and bare chest as he stared into nothingness.

She took small and hesitant steps as she edged closer, meeting eyes with Newt before finally sitting down beside him. His eyes were glossed over, lips quivering as he kept still.

She desperately wanted to comfort him, to hug him close and whisper soothing words, but she decided against it, scared he would freak at her touch. Instead she spoke, keeping her voice soft as she did so.

"Alby? You okay?"

Andie couldn't recognize him as he kept quiet, not uttering a word, or stealing a single glance her way. She had never seen him like this. Looking so immensely scared to death. It was an an usual and uncomfortable sight, making her shudder in place.

"Hey, Alby." Thomas crouched before him in his point of view, trying to capture his attention some other way. "Alby we might have just found a way out of the maze. You hear me? We could be getting out of here."

Alby almost looked to be in pain as the boy spoke, as if his presence was intolerable and discomforting. He didn't move much at Thomas' words either, only barely shaking his head as he found his voice.

"We can't," his voice came out gruff, his throat surely dry and parched. "We can't leave. They won't let us."

At his words, those around shared weary glances, Thomas looking to Andie and her to him. "What do you mean Alby?" The girl asked, finally allowing herself to place a hand on his back. He fortunately didn't flinch at her touch, making her nerves calm, hardly an inch however.

"I remember," Alby's lips quivered, his words once again making everyone more confused then anything. Andie leaned closer towards him on instinct—much like the others—waiting for him to elaborate.