03. heavy hearts

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

SHE POPPED THE PAIN KILLER IN HER MOUTH followed by a big gulp of lukewarm water from the jar she kept by her bed

SHE POPPED THE PAIN KILLER IN HER MOUTH followed by a big gulp of lukewarm water from the jar she kept by her bed. She tried to be as quiet as possible, not to wake the other boys within the homestead, but she let out a slight wince when she pulled her jeans over her hips, the fabric tightening around her still freshly injured knee.

Despite the protests that came from Minho the night prior, Andie had her mind set on running the maze anyway. A little pain was in no hell going to stop her, it would only make her adrenaline pump faster.

The girl pulled a long sleeve over ever head as she stepped outside, closing the door slowly as she made sure she didn't wake the boys. This was usual procedure, her waking early to grab some breakfast before her run. She ran better on a full stomach after all.

Her boots trudged through the green grass as she headed over towards the kitchen like hut, all while listening to the chirping birds in the early morning, and watching the sun rise from above.

The girl wasn't exactly a morning person, preferring to lay tangled under her sheets until after sunrise, yet she always found comfort in the Glade before dawn. It was so quiet and calm, in complete difference to it's usual lively facade. It felt like the only time she could really think clearly.

Making her way towards Fry, who was usually awake at this time preparing breakfast for the peckish Gladers who were yet to get up, she smiled kindly as she approached.

"Mornin' Die." The boy grinned as he chopped away at the greens before him. It still baffled Andie how effortlessly he could mix together what not and make a whole menu out of it.

"What you got for me this morning?" She questioned as she leans against the makeshift counter. The cook usually liked to change up the girl's breakfast every other day, seeing which she liked more that could possibly be of interest for some of the other Gladers who usually stuck to the same thing.

Fry reached for something behind him, presenting a bowl of assortments a second later. It looked delicious. Andie reached for it, only for him to pull it out of her reach. The girl sighed as he raised his eyebrows. "Thank you Fry. It looks magnificent."