9

nine

Kit has forgotten me

In a few days his landlord will report his rent will be covered for the next five months, it was the least I could do, after leaving him. Packing light the first time had saved me a lot of time, I threw everything into my jeep and I was off.

It was better this way, at first I was worried about leaving Kit alone in a city with a ripper and a hybrid but Damon pointed out that now we knew they were there, they wouldn't be there much longer.

Luck wasn't going my way, the first day back and it was a Lockwood party, I questioned why I volunteered to cook for the potluck but there I was standing in front of Elena's oven trying to make out my  great grandmother's small handwriting.

Damon was standing right against me, "I just don't know why you want to bring chili to a potluck. Everybody brings chili".
I sided eye him, throwing some spice into the pot. Damon greeted Ric,  "What's up?".

"What time do you want to go to the Lockwood party?" Elena asked.
"Ah. Those founders parties aren't really my thing" Ric shook his head.
"Show up, there's going to be nine other people that brought chili" Damon nudged me.

I held back a smile, "It's a family recipe!".
"Yeah! I know. I knew your old family. They made sucky chili" he pulled a face, nudging me again, I smiled then laughed, I tried some of the chili, smirking at him then wrinkled my nose.
"You tried following this" I threw the card down.

Ric looked at Damon, "Why are you here, exactly?".
" She knows" he said, pointing to Elena.

"He thinks I'm going to break. I'm not going to break." she picked up a bowl of veg and threw it into the point,  "I am just going to keep making chili, pretend like I didn't just spend the entire summer looking for someone who didn't want to be found".

"She's in denial" Damon whispered.
"I'm not in denial" She hissed back.

"No?" he touches her necklace, the one Stefan had given her. "You're still wearing this necklace. Isn't this the reminder of your unbreakable bond with Stefan?".

"Bonnie!" Elena gasped from the front door, I almost threw the spoon at Damon and ran to the door. Caroline was there two grinning. After hugging Elena, Bonnie embraced me.
"I leave town for the summer and everything goes to hell for the both of you" Bonnie said, to Elena and Caroline. Before I had gotten back, her dad had held her in a cell and tried to torture her out of being a vampire.

"Bonnie!"
"Jeremy"

The chili was final done, I'm sure my great grandmother is turning in her grave. I never claimed to be a cook and anyway it would get lost in the sea of chilis.
"The problem with my dad's normal side of the family is normal made for a really boring summer" Bonnie said.
"After the last few days, I would kill for a normal family" Caroline said, helping Elena spoon the chili into a hot pot, "Since when did you learn how to cook?" she asked.