Chapter 16 - Denial and Power

Mirio POV

"D-Do you still... remember us?" said Uraraka.

"..."

"If you knew me, or if I knew you in the past, you shouldn't think of that me as the me now."

Uraraka was starting to get wet eyes.

"What do you mean?" asked Bakugo with a shaky expression.

Izuku rolled up his sleeve to reveal some of the cauterization marks and cuts. The others were just frozen in place upon the sight of it.

"You can tell from these scars, I'm not the man that you knew before."

With that remark, he grenade-boosted to the other side of the gym.

Izuku POV

While talking to those people, I felt a bit like a memory shock in my brain, but I can't waste time on that.

I need to prepare myself for tonight.

I've been trying to come up with my own super move after hearing that the hero classes were doing the same, and it is a good thing to have at your disposal.

My quirk works by conjuring a weapon, and I've already figured out that I didn't need to imagine the actual shape of a grenade as long as I imagined the functionality.

That made me think about guns of course, which seem impossible to change because you need a trigger for the 'weapon' to work. I needed to find some sort of workaround to this way my quirk worked.

Wait a minute.

If a bullet is fired from a gun, which is the weapon? The thing that fired it, or the thing that actually killed the enemy?

Thinking about it, I could conjure a bullet and a gun, but could I conjure a moving bullet?

After a bit of trial and error, I tried to make it work by imagining the gun as my hand without conjuring it, then firing the imaginary weapon and conjuring the bullet.

*PHEWW*

*CRASH*

Did that work?

It did!

"YESS!" I yelled in happiness, I finally can fire some sort of projectile.

After going over it for 3 hours, I tried a multitude of things, like flamethrowers, rockets, arrows, and going as far as trying to conjure a shockwave, because it could be a weapon right?

That last one didn't work, but I still made progress.

Now I needed to develop a super move, one with long-range and explosive power. It needed to be incendiary since I need to make sure I order my attack to not affect Eri. With the research I did on weapons for my quirk before the kidnapping, maybe I could try to come up with some sort of sequence to make this work...

Screw that, I need it to work.

I first imagined a combustion reaction, something like nitroglycerine. Then a flammable small material that can spread fire quickly, which I read that chlorine trifluoride is extremely reactive. I can mimic its reactive properties, and since I don't actually have the power of creation, it won't be corrosive or poisonous.

That will create a large directed fire in front of me, now I still need some power, could more nitroglycerin do it? No, I want something else in this sequence, I could use... HMX.

A nitroamine high explosive, I read that it has a detonation velocity of 9100 m/s. (about 30000 feet per second)

Now I'm no chemist, and I only just read a bunch of things that have high numbers. It probably won't be as powerful as it could be, but I can make it more efficient later, all I need is its power now. Anything can be a weapon after all, as long as it's thrown or if it affects something.

With that sequence in mind, nitroglycerin-chlorine trifluoride-HMX. I have to try and use it.

...

3 hours later and I still can't make it work. It's just so hard to think about it, but I will make it. I've made a big explosion, but now I need to direct it. Which I just can't manage to do.

"You ok kid?"

Aizawa POV

I finally have the free time to watch Izuku. According to Mirio, he's developing all his combative abilities so that he can fight tonight, despite me wanting to put him at rear support.

When I got there, I noticed that he was creating massive explosions from his hands, which were significantly larger than when he first trained with us.

As I got closer I noticed that he was feeling very frustrated, so I had to ask.

"You ok kid?"

He turned to me in surprise, probably because he isn't paying attention to his surroundings.

"Oh Aizawa, great to see you, I'm just angry I can't make this idea of mine out," he responded.

"Calm down kid, your power is definitely overboard for this," I said.

"Oh no, I'm trying to do a super move," he said.