Chapter thirteen

The words were clear as day. I know. Tony quickly pocketed his phone, and began to run upstairs. He didn't even bother to try the elevators, this was an emergency. He needed to find Steve, and fast. The man was out of breath by the time he reached the sixth floor, and he didn't bother knocking. He didn't have to. "Steve?" Tony called out, looking around the apartment. The door had been wide open, that wasn't a good sign. "Steve? Where the hell are you?"

 "He left, Stark." Natasha said bitterly. Tony turned around, seeing the woman standing in the doorway. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “He what?" "He left. You told him to get out, so he did." she snapped, eyes full of hatred. "You've ruined everything." Natasha turned, and went to leave. "Oh, and he wanted me to give this to you." she said coldly, dropping the envelope to the floor. It fell harder than an envelope should; something was inside.

 Tony walked to the door, watching as Natasha got onto an elevator, tears in her eyes. He picked up the envelope, labeled in cursive, Mr. Anthony Stark. He tore it open, and balled his hands into a fist. Steve's key was inside the envelope. He was gone for good. "Good." Tony whispered, anger rising within him. He walked out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

 He pulled out his phone, dialing up the number. A young woman's voice answered, sexy and expecting. "Hello Tony, I suspect you got my message? Or were you just looking for another good time?" Christine asked, smirking. "Shut up bitch. I thought I should let you know that there isn't anything for you to know anymore. Whatever you saw is over now." Tony growled. "Ooh Tony, you should know better than to speak to a woman like that." she said, keeping her voice light. "And may I ask what you mean?"

 "It's over between us, there's nothing for you to write your little story on, now leave me and Steve alone." Tony answered, wiping away his tears. "Oh, but that doesn't mean the thing you speak of never happened. I wonder what everyone would think when they found out that Anthony Stark had a passionate love affair with Steve Rogers?" Her voice went from light to threatening, and Tony tried to keep himself under control.

 "And what would it do to Pepper?"

 "Don't you dare try to bring her into this." Tony growled between clenched teeth. "Why shouldn't I? You're her boyfriend after all; she has the right to know the truth." Christine taunted. "What the hell do you want Christine?" the brunette asked, leaning up against the wall, defeated. "Ooh, and they say you can't take the fight out of the kid." she laughed, and Tony clenched his fist. "Let me think about it, if I can get something good out of this, I want it to be special." she giggled again before hanging up.

 Tony got up. He needed to find Steve, and explain everything. "JARVIS, can you get me a reading on where Cap is?" The man asked as he began to walk towards the elevator. "I'm afraid not sir." The AI said. "Guess I'm going on a wild goose chase then." the brunette muttered under his breath, and clicked the lobby button. "I'll find him."

 ~*~

 Steve stood outside the cafe, eyes darting around, foot tapping with nervousness. "Hello Captain." An icy voice said, and Steve's eyes fell upon Christine Everhart. "I'm glad you took my offer to meet me." She smiled, and Steve snorted as he looked away. "Of course." he muttered, and got the door to the cafe for her.

 "Even when his reputation is in danger the man is still a gentleman." Christine noticed, walking in. "It's not my reputation I'm worried about." Steve muttered, and the woman saw her opening. "So you're not worried about everyone knowing that the great Captain America is gay?" She lowered her voice as they sat at a table.

 Steve kept a cool expression. "I don't think that subject is really one for such an open area, do you?" The soldier saw right through her little trick. Christine's lips set into a pout as she leaned back in her chair. "Well then, why don't we talk about what we're both doing here." she said, trying to regain control of the situation. "We're here because you called me and told me you would like to speak to me over a cup of coffee. When I politely declined, you told me that if I didn't you would tell the whole country about the kiss you witnessed between Tony and myself." He leaned over the table glaring at her. "Which, may I just point out, you have no proof of."