Chapter eight

HELLO EVERYONE! Yes, this is your faithful writer, Geoffry. I just wanted to thank everyone for the 1000 reads, you all are just so great. I really can't do this without you, and I never thought I would have a popular story! So again, thank you all. I wasn't too happy with this chapter, but I really have no other inspiration, and thought I need to get this out before I go on a bit of a hiatus. It won't be permanent, but I just need a bit of a break. School has been very stressful,  and I need to make sure I can keep up my grades. So, I hope you all enjoy this chap (I know I didn't.)

_________

 "Hey Tony." Tony's head shot up from behind the machine, eyes glaring at the tall blond. Steve stood in his old army suit, his hair combed perfectly. "Where are you going?" The dark haired man growled, getting up to refill his glass. He tried to act uninterested, but he really was curious; and actually a bit jealous. Steve picked up on Tony's cold attitude, and bit his lip nervously. "Um, me and Ashley are going out for some dinner thing- are you okay?" The blond tilted his head, following the man with his eyes. Tony slammed the bottle down on the counter, refusing to face him. "Me? I'm great."

 Tony felt a hand turn him around briskly, and his eyes were met by a pair of blue ones. They studied him, looking over him, trying to look through him. But they couldn't. Tony's bloodshot eyes kept them from truly seeing what was wrong. Steve dropped his hands, but his eyes remained locked on Tony's. "Why won't you talk to me?" Steve questioned, his face stern.

 Tony looked away, unsure of what to tell the super soldier. "What are you so afraid to say?" Steve's voice was soothing, but a sudden anger swept over the man, his defenses quickly building up once more. Tony's head snapped up, and a scowl found its way up onto his handsome face. "What am I afraid to say? You're the one who constantly keeps to himself! The one who always has to be the tough guy! You never let anyone in!" he argued, his voice rising with each sentence.

 "You never let anyone help you! Even when you know you need it the most, you just keep it to yourself!" "Listen to yourself for once! This isn't about me. You just described yourself." Steve muttered quietly. The two stared each other down for a moment, before the sound of doors opening broke their concentration.

 Bruce walked in, tablet in hand. He was scrolling through some type of blue print, his face twisted in deep concentration. "Hey Tony, so I was thinking about that project that you wanted to start and I-" He stopped himself when he noticed Steve was in the room, and smiled. "Hey Steve, am I- uh-am I interrupting something?" Bruce asked, moving his hands in an awkward gesture.

 Steve was about to say something, but Tony cut him off. "No, Steve was just leaving. Weren't you Steve?" The soldier looked at Tony, a hurt look on his face. But the other man didn't seem to care. He simply continued sipping on his drink, and completely ignored Steve. Bruce watched the two of them, sensing something was wrong. His eyes connected briefly with Steve's, who looked on the verge of tears.

 "Right. Bye Bruce. You two have fun." Steve stormed out, not looking back once. Bruce was left in confusion, shaking his head lightly. "So you were talking about that project?" Tony asked, heading to where his friend stood, pushing Steve out of his mind.

~*~

 "Steve, what's up with you today?" Ashley's voice broke Steve's concentration, and he remembered where he was. The couple was seated in the restaurant, a plate of pasta before Steve. He hadn’t touched it; he wasn't hungry. The girl bit her lip, worried. She looked up at him, and saw him smiling. She sighed, and took his hand in hers.

 He stared down at their hands, wishing it were Tony’s instead of hers. No. You need to keep him out of your mind. Ashley likes you. And you should be with her. Steve looked up to Ashley, who began to eat the plate of chicken before her. He removed his hand, and tried to find his appetite. He knew he wouldn’t though.