Chapter Twenty-Eight

Here's a very long chapter:) Happy New Year!

TW: Domestic and emotional abuse and mention of abuse.

    I handed Kinsley's tote bag to her before grabbing my own out of the van trunk. The cabins were larger than I had imagined, making me feel guilty for booking three when we truly could've split everyone into two. Throwing my backpack over my shoulder, I shivered under the cool breeze. Soft snow littered the ground, leaving very few places without it. The driveways and the sidewalks to the front porches had been cleared by the owner of the property which I was thankful for.

"Six to nine of us per building," Reed said, coming up beside me and grabbing his own bag out of the trunk. "I have everyone picking where they are staying. There'll be less conflict that way." I nodded as he handed out the rest of the baggage and closed the van trunk.

"Us three, Julian, Sebastian, and James in cabin two," Kinsley announced, walking back to us from the other students. "Julian wanted to stick with Julian, and Sebastian insisted on joining James. Are you comfortable with that?" she asked me directly.

Slipping her a small smile, I nodded, briefly glancing at Reed who looked unsure. "Yeah, fine. We are friends."

She nodded. "If you're sure."

As she headed toward our designated cabin, I glanced at Sebastian, who was grabbing his and James' stuff out of his truck. "You sure know how to make dumb decisions," Reed commented, patting my back before following behind Kinsley.

"Tell me about it," I muttered loud enough for him to hear.

I discovered the amount of truth in those words within the next thirty minutes. Everyone picked their sleeping arrangements almost immediately. There were three bedrooms in each cabin, so Kinsley and I got a room, Julian and Reed, and then Sebastian and James.

Kinsley and I were unpacking some of our things when a knock sounded on our door. I glanced up and found Sebastian standing halfway in the room. "Hey...Ella, can I talk to you for a minute? Alone?"

I glanced at Kinsley, who knew what the look in my eyes meant, and nodded. "I'll go see who all wants to go into town to get some groceries."

She left us alone and I zipped up my bag before standing from the floor and crossing my arms over my chest. He closed the door for some privacy and scratched the back of his blonde head, taking a breath. I stared at the bruised skin around his eye. "I just wanted you to know that I had a lot of fun the other evening. I've really missed you and it makes me happy to be able to spend time with you like that again."

I showed a smile and nodded in return. "Yeah. I had fun."

"Can we try again?" he asked me. "Officially?"

Taking a deep breath, I opened my mouth to say "yes, I would love that," but I hesitated. I had been telling the truth, it was nice having him back in my life as a friend. I'd missed laughing with him and joking around, but did I want more of him?

Subconsciously, I brushed my fingertips along the small bruises that still painted the skin of my left wrist. If I did this, I'd have to prioritize him. I'd have to make time for quality time with him again. Did I have that in me right now? I had to help Reed repay whoever needed to be paid before they came after him and make sure he didn't get thrown in jail in the process. Already, I had myself stressed from making sure no one found out about what I was doing.  I wanted to give my attention to that. That's where I wanted my priorities.