Chapter Fourteen

On the ride home that evening, Freddy never spoke a word to me. But at least he was kind enough to still drive me home. He already knew my address, so he didn't speak to me at all. I was really bummed, to be honest, and wondered how in the world I was going to get him and Malorie back on my side. Maybe buying Freddy a new fun tie would help.

Before we left, and after the meeting, I had managed to pull Kassidi aside and ask if she was mad at me, too. Fortunately, she wasn't upset in the slightest. She figured things with Reed would work out over time, and just wanted to focus on getting everything to operate nicely again. I easily agreed with her, looking forward to exactly that.

That Friday evening, I was somehow talked into going out again to another party. At first, I just wanted to have a movie night by myself, but Kinsley fought me over the phone to go to a party with her. And by "Fought" I mean "convinced me within ten seconds." Honestly, all she had to do was ask me and I agreed.

Kinsley wanted to get Dante off her mind and wound me into going so she didn't have to party by herself. Though I knew she'd probably ditch me for some guy within twenty minutes of getting there.

"So what happened?"

We were in her car, heading to some sophomore's party. I had asked her why we weren't going to one of the usual house parties we went to but apparently, she wanted to support the lower classmen and their party endeavors. I didn't bother fighting her on it because, in the end, a party was a party.

"Being a boy happened," she said, turning down another street without using her blinker.

Reed had dropped off my car for me yesterday evening, but Kinsley didn't trust that my car was actually fixed, so she drove us. Apparently, Reed wasn't trustworthy enough to work on cars, no matter how many times I explained that he wasn't even the main one working on it. I knew her idea of driving was bad because I knew she'd end up drunk and would have to catch us a ride home with someone else. And I didn't exactly plan to stay sober tonight. So, here we were because my car wasn't an option in her eyes. 

"He's there more than enough physically, but not there emotionally at all," my best friend explained.

"And you are," I added.

She just nodded, her tight, straight ponytail bouncing with the movement. "I liked him...but I dumped him today."

I raised an eyebrow. "You dumped him today? Were you even together officially?" I didn't recall them ever deciding on a label.

Her shoulders shrugged as she parked on the side of the street in front of a house with blaring music and striking neon lights. I bet their neighbors hated them.
"I don't know," she admitted as we unbuckled our seatbelts and climbed out of the car. "But it made me feel good doing it anyway."

"Then that's all that matters."

We made our way into the house and for a party thrown by a sophomore, it was a pretty dang good party. Furniture had been moved, there was a DJ, lights were flashing with the music, and there was a wide variety of drinks to choose from. Usually, lower-classmen parties were considered BYOB.

An hour later, I was dancing, not paying much attention to anything else going on around me. I was enjoying the moment as people typically do. People surrounded me, all strangers with unfamiliar faces, younger than myself. With a cup in my hand, I danced with them. Hands were placed on my waist, but I didn't care. I didn't even look to see who they belonged to. Every now and then, the person would get bored and be replaced by someone else. I could tell by the different grips and placement.