Chapter Six

"So, I'm right when I'm guessing you've been doing a lot of making out," I said, opening my can of soda.

I expected Kinsley to roll her eyes at my words, but she blushed instead. "Can you really blame me?" she chuckled, pointing over my shoulder. "Look at him!" Turning my head, I looked to where she directed and found him sitting across the room with a bunch of other familiar boys. His black hair was gelled in waves and his jawline ran in perfect parallel with his pointed cheekbones. Even from the other side of the room, you could spot the outline of his biceps through his fitted T-shirt.

Julian was sitting on one side of him, engrossed in a conversation with another boy, and on his right, sat a familiar blonde. Within the few short seconds of me staring at him in shock, his blue eyes found mine. I jerked back around to face Kinsley. "He's sitting with Sebastian," I told her. "How did you not notice that he was sitting with Sebastian?"

My best friend's filled-in eyebrows furrowed as she looked back over my shoulder. Her eyes widened immediately and I could easily guess what that meant. Her next words just confirmed my suspicions. "The more important question is 'why is Sebastian staring at you?" she whisper-yelled. "He's completely staring at the back of your head."

I growled. "Yeah, I can practically feel the heat of his gaze."

Both of our lunches in front of us were now long forgotten. "You haven't talked to him, have you? I swear, Ella, if you have started talking to him again..." she trailed off and didn't get to finish expressing her thoughts because I quickly interrupted her.

"I haven't spoken a word to him," I assured her. "Not a single word."

Kinsley visibly relaxed, sitting back in her seat and resting her shoulders, though her jaw remained clenched. "Then why the hell is he staring?" she asked, more to herself than me. "And you are sure nothing has happened?"

I shrugged. "Nothing other than me seeing him get in a fight. But that was brief and I left after I saw what was happening."

"Did he catch you staring?" Her words made mine get caught in my throat and I didn't have to answer for her to know. "Ella..."

"It was only for a few seconds," I informed her. "We stared at each other for just a few seconds before I walked away. I swear."

She clicked her tongue and glared over my shoulder. I didn't dare turn to look. "Well, he must have thought it was something."

"Ella!" Kinsley's head looked up above me, just as a feminine voice spoke and a soft hand touched my shoulder. Turning and looking up, I found my friend Mallorie smiling down at me. Her fire-red hair was slicked back into a tight high bun, not a baby hair or loose strand in sight. "The best part of senior year has begun!" she squealed, squeezing both my shoulders. "Can't wait to start council tomorrow!"

And with that, the bubbly girl skipped away, probably to find another council member to briefly talk to. "The council sheet is up," I realized out loud. I had completely forgotten that it was announcement day. Stuffing the rest of my uneaten food and trash all in my paper bag, I grabbed it and my can. "I'll see you later, Kins." She knew where I was headed.

Leaving the bag in the trash and the can in the recycle bin, I raced down the hall to where I knew the sheet would be hanging. It was in the same spot it was every single year. Stopping quickly in front of the poster, my eyes scanned over the listed names from top to bottom. "Ella Janson," my name printed first. Pride spread through my chest, even though I had expected it. Multiple familiar names were listed after, most of who were a part of the council with me the year before. "Kassidi Parten, Mallorie Samson, Fredrick Wallows, Ted Miller, Reed Brewer..."