Chapter 15. Another Problem

It was Christmas day, and they had gathered around George in the hospital bed. Paul and Mia were both seated next to George. Their Christmas Eve was a lot to take in. It all started with Scott ended his relationship with Mia. Paul abandoned Jeremy, who had just returned from the hospital, in order to be with Owen. That night, Mia ended up with Jeremy. Then George had a heart attack this morning. So much has happened in the last 24 hours that everyone is just sitting there quietly.
George required surgery, and he is currently stabilized. But he remained unconscious. Paul used his left hand to hold George's hand and his right hand to hold Owen's hand. Mia sat in an awkward position next to Jeremy, who was holding Alan in his arms.
"I'm starving. What would you like to eat?" Finally, Owen inquired. They hadn't eaten anything all day, and it was nearly 3 p.m.
"Is there any Chinese food around here?" After a brief moment of silence, Paul responded.
"For Christmas?" Mia cocked her brow.
"Well, I'm not in the mood for Christmas." Paul shook his head.
"I'm good with Chinese food..." Jeremy said.
"There was, I believe, one restaurant a few blocks away. So I'd like some moo shu chicken." Mia eventually gave in.
"I'll share with Jeremy some hunan beef." Without thinking, Paul said. He became accustomed to placing orders for both of them.
"You mean with Owen?" Jeremy corrected what Paul had just said.
"No, I mean with you. You don't want to share food with me?" Paul furrowed his brow. "You know, Owen always ate all of his."
Owen simply chuckled. He doesn't care who shared with whom, but Paul was correct; he always finished his part, whereas Jeremy never finished his. He knows Paul's habit of ordering a share portion with Jeremy. "I'm going to retrieve your order." Owen kissed Paul on the lips and walked away.
"I'm not sure what you're saying, Paul." Jeremy gave a shaky nod.
"Why? Just because we're getting divorced doesn't mean you'll vanish. You are still present in my life." Paul turned to face Jeremy. He doesn't understand why sharing food has become so difficult for Jeremy.
Mia sighed and rose to her feet. "I'm going to get some drinks. I'll get a variety of it. So you have a choice. We'll be around for a while." Mia turned and walked away.
"Would you like me to hold Alan?" Paul inquired.
"No, I'm fine," he says. Jeremy avoids making eye contact.
"If you want, you can date Mia." Paul exhaled a sigh. "I apologize for my overreaction this morning."
"I'd like to be with you." Jeremy said this while playing with Alan, who was dozing off.
"Are you aware that the ship has sailed?" Paul clenched his teeth. "Please, Jeremy, don't make this any more difficult than it already is. I just want you and I to be Alan's co-parents and raise him well. For years, I had wished to be with Owen. And you seemed to want to be with someone else as well. Simply put, it's amicable." Paul elaborated.
"So.." Jeremy inhaled deeply. "Is this the end of the road for us?" Jeremy finally fixed his gaze on Paul.
"Marriage-wise, yes. But, once again, you are Alan's father. And maybe one day you and Mia will be able to have your own." Finally, Paul cracked a smile.
"It was only one night. I'm not even sure what we are. Having children with her is something I don't know if it will happen or not, so don't go there just yet." Jeremy gave a shaky nod.
"Mia wishes to have a child. As a result, you should seriously consider it. I don't want her to start dating a bad person." Paul got to his feet and stretched.
"That doesn't mean it'll be me." Because Alan was suddenly fussing, Jeremy stood up as well. Alan was slowly rocked by him.
"I'm sorry I fell out of love with you and fell in love with Owen, Jeremy. You're a nice guy." Paul approaches Jeremy and Alan.
"And I apologize for cheating on you. I guess I missed being in a relationship with a woman. And I should have told you." With his free hand, Jeremy leaned in and hugged Paul's hips.
Mia entered the room, looking at his brother and Jeremy who were hugging. She opened the plastic bags containing canned drinks and handed them to the two men. Paul grabbed some soda and Jeremy grabbed some water. Jeremy is still on a model diet the majority of the time.
"After lunch, you should return with Mia. So Alan can get some rest. Or perhaps..." Paul gave Jeremy a friendly smile.
"Oh my gosh, Paul. I haven't even signed the divorce papers!" Paul was pushed away by Jeremy.
"Please accept my apologies..." Paul exhaled a sigh. "I didn't mean it that way at all."
Jeremy gave a shaky nod. "You can't do that to me! I'm still madly in love with you!" Jeremy screamed. Alan began to cry. So Jeremy went outside to calm him down.
Paul sat next to Mia and took her hands in his. "I don't know what to do, Mia."
"What exactly do you mean?" Mia fixed her gaze on Paul.
"Jeremy.. He really wants to change," Paul explained. "And Alan, he needed Jeremy." Paul covered his face.
"You should speak with Owen." Mia reached out and hugged Paul.
"I really love Owen. But I've been with Jeremy for a long time. I just can't grasp the idea that one day he will leave and even take Alan away.." Paul rubbed his face in frustration.
"Just talk to Owen, please. Simply tell him how you feel. Because Jeremy lied, your marriage ended. Don't ruin your new relationship by lying to him. Okay?" Mia put pressure on Paul. Paul simply nodded.
Not long after that, Owen returned with their food. They ate together, and when they were finished, Mia and Jeremy drove Alan home. Throughout the night, they will alternate shifts with Owen and Paul. Mia and Jeremy don't do much chatting on the way back.
After that, Jeremy tucked Alan into his crib. When Alan was born, George took over the crib. He had never had the opportunity until this Christmas.
Meanwhile, Mia locked herself in her bedroom. She doesn't want to have another slip up and have sex with Jeremy again. But around half an hour after she arrived back home, there was a knock on her bedroom door. When she opened it up, it was Scott on the other side of the door.
"Mia, can I come in?" He asked. Obviously, Scott feels nervous because he just broke up with her in front of her family last night. But Mia let him in. They sat on the bay window bench.
"Why are you here?" Mia asked as they settled down on the bench.
"I'm sorry about last night. I was angry.." Scott sighed. "I know you probably hate me now."
"I slept with Jeremy last night, I think you will hate me more.." Mia chuckled.
"Really? Jeremy?" Scott stared at Mia.
"What do you want?" Mia sighed. "George is in the hospital and I just don't have time to waste entertaining you."
"You cheated on me!" Scott is angry now.
"You broke up with me!" Mia shouted back at Scott.
Jeremy entered Mia's bedroom as he heard the shouting. "What happened?" Jeremy asked as he entered the bedroom.
Scott stood up and punched Jeremy in the face. "You are a jerk!" He pushed Jeremy down and left.
"He broke up with you!" Jeremy protested as he felt his lips were bleeding.
Mia stood up and helped Jeremy up, then took him to the bathroom to clean the wounds. Jeremy pressed against her a little because the bathroom was small.
"Jeremy.." Mia breathes faster.
"I'm not doing this again. I'm sorry. I still love Paul, and last night was a mistake." Jeremy pushed himself out. He grabbed his luggage and packed it up. He really needs to go back to New York.