Chapter 5

I walk into the city. The gun in my pocket. Prepared for anything to happen. I walk down a street. I look at everything. Can't believe the place I grew up in was destroyed. How did this happen? I keep walking. I need to find a car and go to my house. My house isn't far from the city. All these cars are busted up. I see one. Standing right out side of a store. I look in the stores. Everything is gone, almost everything. People must of rushed and got everything they needed to get to survive before they left. I walk up to the car. It's turned on. The door is wide open. Not all the people left. Most are infected but, there must be someone alive here if their car is turned on. I don't care. I'm worrying about myself and mostly my family more than anything right now. I run up to the car. I get inside and shut the door. I look in the car mirror and see a guy run out of a store with a little girl behind him who must be his daughter. Oh no.

"Hey! Get back here!" He yells.

I push down hard on the pedal and the car drives away really fast. I look through the car mirror as I drive away and see one of the infected things jump on the guy and the little girl screams. I would go help her, but she won't make it. She already got bit by one that just sneaked up behind her. I breath deeply.

"Oh my gosh. Oh gosh." I say to myself, breathing heavily.

Is this what's gonna happen my whole journey? I caused that poor family to die. I could of helped them. They could of helped me.

I stop the car and park it in my drive way. I get out of the car and put my hand on my gun in my back pocket to make sure it's still there. I feel safe with it on me. I walk up to the front of my house. I back up a few steps until I'm standing in front of it and see the whole thing. The porch. The window in front of the house. And the red front door. I suddenly remember something:

I'm looking out the window with my dog, Maxwell. He's a good German Shepherd. I see fire. And explosions everywhere. People running around everywhere, rushing to get into their cars. Me crying, scared of what I am seeing.

"Honey, we need to leave...now!" My mom says nervously.

"Come on let's go!" My dad yells and opens the front door. We all run outside. I forget about Maxwell. My mom and dad run into the car. My little sister. I'm trying to look for her.

"Maddie!" I yell for her.

"Teressa!" She yells back. She's running to me from across the street.

"Where were you?!"

"I was at my friend's house. Remember?"

I grab her. I grab her arm and pull her with me. We run. We run to the car.

"What about Max?!" She yells at me. Max is barking inside, panicking.

"Leave him. He's fine."

"No! We can't leave him!"

"We have to Maddie!"

"No!" She runs out of my arm and runs up to the front porch.

"Maddie! Maddie you get back here right now!"

I don't even know where my parents are right now.

I see something. Something acting strange. And I remember again. It's one of the things. One of the monsters. It jumps up on the porch and attacks my sister.

"No!" I yell. I run up to her. She's getting eaten alive. Her voice screaming so loud. Oh my gosh. I didn't want to picture this happening to her again. So much pain she's in. I run up to her and I push the thing with my hands and push my fingers into its eyes and watch blood poor out and it falls to the ground. I grab my little eleven year old sister on the floor. Her shoulder. All bloody. Blood pouring out everywhere, I don't even care about the blood on my hands. She's trying to breath, struggling.

"Maddie." I say crying. I can't even breath. I watch her face. The color of her face going pale and the color in her eyes loosing hope.

And then she's dead. Her heart isn't beating no more. I cry. And I cry. I just want to lay here with her.

"Teressa let's go! We got the car ready!" My mom yells.

I cry and stare at my sister.

My mom runs up to me, grabs my shoulders and drags me off of my sister. She cries too.

I scream. I scream so loud my throat burns.

Me and my mom run down the street to the car my dad is waiting in until one of the things runs up to me and scratches me in the face, on my cheek, just below the right eye. I scream in pain. My mom falls to the floor. I fall behind. And a car drives up to me. A man takes me and puts me in his car. He knew I wasn't gonna make it. And I wasn't. I wasn't. I'm glad they saved me.

But now I'm home. I finally remember what happened to me, and I never want it to come back into my mind again.