(Chapter 3)

Chapter Three.

My dad began to explain about him and the SSS being under threat from a rival group blah, blah, blah... and that he has enlisted the help of Jesper, the rude yet so handsome boy leaning against my lounge wall, in my house with a devilish grin. That boy has some cheek! Who is to protect me from any unwanted visitors of this ‘rival group’.

“I hope you understand that this is serious business” my dad spoke surprisingly concerned.

“Yeah” I replied with a gentle nod to let him know I understood, and with that he gave a sigh and walked out of the room. Taking a seat on the sofa, my eyes rested upon Jesper. His slightly too tight shirt clung smoothly around his toned abs ending just above his elbow to reveal tanned arms that rested on his hips as he stood with his head slightly tilted towards the TV. He was so perfect, shame about his cocky personality. Then I saw his eyes, his deep blue beckoning eyes that for a moment, seemed to lock with mine, like we had some strange connection. Staring at him in awe I heard my dad’s voice from the kitchen,

“Anyone want a cuppa?”

“Nahh.” I shouted back

“I will.” said Jesper

“Sugar?” came the reply.

“No thanks.”

I couldn’t stop a smirk from appearing on my face at this, only I saw the funny side. My dad called him sugar.

Standing, I headed upstairs to my bedroom but Jesper met me at the first step. I gave him a puzzled look then stepped out in front of him. I could hear Jesper climbing the stairs behind me, in time with my footsteps. So I decided to have a bit of fun. I purposely took two steps backwards just to see his reaction and sure enough he took two steps back. This made me laugh, I shook my head mumbling

“So immature” but couldn’t stop myself from smiling.

Once inside my room, I quickly shut the door and waited, listened for where Jesper was heading. He stopped outside my door but didn’t knock. I slowly opened my door to find Jesper stood with his arms folded and back to me like a guard dog. This could get annoying.

I changed into some other jeans since these were dirty from out little ‘incident’ this morning and put on some more deodorant for Jespers benefit.

Peeping out of my door I could see he was still there so I ventured out and just stood infront of him gazing into those deep meaningful eyes of his but my trance was soon broken by

“Come get your cuppa tea before it goes cold” from downstairs. I quickly snapped out of it and walked over to the stairs.

“You coming then?” I half shouted behind me. And with that he followed my me down. No ‘stairs game’ this time.

My dad and Jesper seemed to get along well and I wasn’t really listening to any of their conversation until my name was mentioned, then my ears pricked up.

“Me and the missus are going out tonight and might only get home in the early hours of the morning or maybe even not at all, so Jesper I’d feel much happier if you stayed the night, I know it’s not ideal but I’m not prepared to leave Eli alone at night especially with all the threats.” Jesper just nodded as a reply. After all, my Dad was his boss and he couldn’t have got a word in edgeways even if he had wanted too. I on the other hand was not so happy about this. I had only met this guy today and now he was staying the night, just me and him. Sighing, I knew there was no point arguing, my Dad had made clear what he wanted.

The rest of the night passed quite quickly, I watched some TV with Jesper for an hour or so, in silence.  Then headed up to my bedroom, this time without being followed, went on my laptop for a bit and then had a shower at around 10ish. After drying my hair and sorting myself out, I slipped into bed.

Just as I was drifting in and out of sleep a loud ‘thump!’ woke me. WHAT THE FUDGE WAS THAT! I pulled the covers over my head and lay with my eyes wide open. Then footsteps. “No... no, please no” I whispered barely breathing. I shook, terrified as the footsteps grew louder, closer. Tensing my muscles and screwing my eyes tight shut as the door handle began to turn. I waited with baited breath as I opened one eye to see a shadowed figure stood in my doorway. Jesper.

***

I awoke to the smell of pancakes. Pancakes? Huh? Drifting out of bed I realised Jesper was still here and my parents were not. There was no point phoning either of my parents as they rarely answered their phones due to any unwanted spies listening in. So I got dressed as usual and made my way to the kitchen where I was greeted by an overwhelming burnt toast smell.

“Pancakes?” I asked casually

“Um, yea” came the reply.

“And what about the burning smell?” I asked pinching my nose

“Got distracted and left the toast in too long” he mumbled

I shook my head at this sarcastically

“And you’re supposed to be protecting me”

I got an evil look in return. If looks could kill. I took a seat and waited patiently to be served. Yum.

Jesper and I got the bus to school and heading towards my first class, ICT I spotted Milo. Running up behind him I reached my arm out

“Fod slap!” I jeered running off

“You will pay for that!” he yelled behind me

“Whatever!” I glanced backwards only to once again be sent flying to the ground. Milo erupted in laughter. Two days in a row I had been knocked over and both by someone I didn’t recognise.

“Sorry” a sympathetic face apologised as he held out a hand to help my up.

“Thanks, and you are?"

"Charlie"