Chapter 23

"Come on." Rowdy set her gently away from him. "We have to meet the feds."

Suz swiped at her cheek and turned shining eyes up at him.

He hadn't meant to upset her. The baby bed was supposed to...

"If we leave now," Suz smiled, "We can bring them some donuts from the bakery."

Relief sagged his shoulders when he realized those were happy tears and he offered a smile of his own.

"Um, No." He chuckled. "Besides, the whole donut thing is for cops."

"You're right." Suz deadpanned. "Feds probably prefer muffins."

Rowdy's laugh came from way down deep as he tipped his head back.

Lord but it felt good to laugh. He hadn't laughed like that since...

Since the time that Brody took off his diaper and played tug of war with the dog over it...or when he was playing in the leaves with Brody and the dog...or when he saw the look on Suz's face when Brody dumped his spaghetti bowl on his head...

Come to think of it, he laughed quite a bit since they'd been living with him at Baker House.

Funny, he hadn't thought of himself as lonely, or sad...but maybe he was...a little bit?

Now that the feds caught this guy, Suzie would be free to go back to her apartment over the bar. He made the offer for her to stay at Baker House so that she could feel safe, but now he was hoping she would stay, because he wanted them there.

He needed them there.

"Marc Anthony!"

The words rippled down his spine and snapped at his attention with all the gentleness of a whip.

"Yes, ma'am." He gave her a sheepish grin, embarrassed to be caught daydreaming.

"Let's go?"

"Right." He shrugged.

---

They left the conference room over the station and walked through the hall to the elevator. They were both a little stunned. It was all circumstantial so far, but on paper, Henry Burbank looked like their man. It was a little anti-climactic.

Rowdy led Suz to the room they set up for the line-up. He held the door for her, and followed her in. He wasn't expecting her to stop suddenly and nearly knocked her over.

"Sorry." Suz's back felt like stone under his hand. When she didn't reply, he followed her gaze.

Five men stood along the wall in the adjoining room. They all wore jeans, a white long-sleeved dress shirt unbuttoned at the collar, a cheap black Halloween mask, and a cheap black wig. It was, as line-ups went, a good one. At a glance it looked like there were five of the same man standing there. It wasn't until he gave them a second look that he started to see the differences.

Suz still hadn't moved.

With a hand to the small of her back, he gently guided her forward.

"I'm here." He whispered, taking her hand.

"I know. I appreciate it."

She gave him a shaky smile and he pretended not to notice how pale she looked, or how hard she squeezed his fingers.

"Relax. They can't get in here. That room is like this one, except they are looking at a mirror. There are two feds outside that door. You're safe."

"What if he had...I mean he stayed hidden for so long. What if he had help?"