Chapter 08

"I'm glad. But what if she needs—"

"Already handled." Rowdy smiled.  "I drove Betsy over to your place and Dale let us in. She gathered up formula and some clothes and toys for Brody. And I am under strict orders to deliver a message from Betsy."

Suzie arched a brow at him and noticed that Moira and Roger were leaving.

"Thank you, Moira." She called.

"You take care let us handle it from here." Moira gave a smile and a wave as the door closed behind her.

"What was the message?" Suzie asked, turning to Rowdy.

"Rest. Concentrate on getting well. Don't worry about Brody. He is happy and well."

"Courtney and Britney are the sweetest little girls." Suzie smiled. "And they do adore Brody to bits. I doubt he'll even miss me."

Brody would probably be so distracted that he wouldn't miss mama much, but it wasn't for the reasons that Suzie seemed to imply. She really didn't know how amazing she was...

"Doc says if you are good, you can go home tomorrow."

"Any chance I can go home tonight?"

"Nope. You live alone and have sole care of a small child."

"What if I stayed with Betsy. Would they let me go home then?"

"Just stay." Rowdy said gently. "Brody is safe and loved. You need to take care of yourself. Besides, Dennis and I need time to get your car running again."

"I completely forgot about my car. They won't tow it will they?"

"Dennis called Jimmy and had him tow the car to Baker House. Jimmy heard about you getting attacked by the bank robber and said for you not to worry about the charge for towing, because there isn't one. He said you had enough to worry about and he hopes you get better soon."

"I wasn't exactly attacked, per say." Suzie frowned. "Is that what people are saying? That I was attacked?"

"Some of the rumors say that, yes. Amelia flagged me down to ask if it was true that the bank robber tried to use you for a human shield. I swear, they watch too much television."

"I don't know if I can show my face in town."

"Nonsense, you're a celebrity."

"Mr. Daevey is a celebrity." Suzie corrected.

"Right. And now, so are you." Rowdy chuckled. "Dennis came with me, but he stayed downstairs to chase off a few reporters. He'll be along directly to say hello."

"That's just crazy." Suzie shook her head and then regretted it.

Rowdy reached out to take her hand, noting for the first time the discarded sling. 'What's this?"

Suzie shrugged.

"Is it broken then?" Rowdy frowned deeper and looked at her arm, the one she held protectively across her middle.

"No, it isn't broken. It's sprained but Doc said it'll be fine in a few days if I don't use it."

Rowdy stood, taking the sling as he did so. "Let me help you get this thing on and I'll not mention it again. Otherwise, I won't be responsible for the level of annoyed you'll get at my nagging. I might even have to sick Betsy on you."

Suzie chuckled at the last.

"Fine." She sighed with a gentle shake of her head, "I'll wear the sling if it will keep Big Bad Betsy off my back!"