Chapter 04

"Anything else?" Suzie asked, as casually as she could manage.

"Are you offering?" Jack waggled his eyebrows and laughed when her eyes rounded. "Relax! I'm just kidding. No, nothing—wait! Instead of the scotch on the rocks, bring me a beer—the best you have on tap—and the basic burger."

"How do you want it cooked?"

"Medium is fine. No fries. Extra lettuce and tomato. Hold the onion and mayo."

"Ketchup? Mustard?"

"No, thank you." His smile was dazzling.

She could swear his teeth sparkled like in the cartoons!

"I'll get this order in. As you can see, it's pretty busy tonight, so it might take awhile on the burger but I'll have the beer over in a few."

"Thank you."

Jack was always polite. Almost as polite as Rowdy was. Except Jack was also playful and suggestive. He made her feel...

Sexy. God, she hadn't felt sexy since...

...since before Mike left.

Suzie frowned, then shrugged off the sour mood that the thought of Mike brought and forced a smile.

"You're in a good mood." A familiar voice said close to her ear as she waited by the bar.

"Ah!" she shrieked and jumped, feeling strong steadying hands at her waist. "It's just me."

Turning, she planted a fist against his chest.

"Ow! What was that for?" Rowdy asked and grabbed the offending wrist as she raised it again.

"That's for scaring me senseless." She hit him with her other fist. "And that's for avoiding me. I thought we were friends, Rowdy."

"We are friends. And I wasn't avoiding—" at her stern look and raised brow, he cleared his throat and let go of her. With his hands up in surrender he went on. "Ok, guilty. But I was just—people were starting to talk and I didn't want them saying anything bad about you. I have a reputation for—"

"Oh Rowdy, say it isn't so!" She gasped dramatically and put a hand over her heart.

Rowdy rolled his eyes.

"Not exactly, but I don't have serious relationships either. Flings. Casual dating. Whatever you want to call it. I didn't want anyone—that is—you're a nice gal, Suzie."

"So, I've been told." She rolled her eyes and gestured to her uniform.

"Does this look like something a nice-gal would wear? Would a nice gal work at Dale's with a baby at home? Would she enjoy working at Dale's? Flirting? Laughing? Collecting admirers and phone numbers? I'm not a nice girl, Rowdy. Not anymore..." in a soft voice that he barely heard, she finished: "I can't afford to be."

"Suzie, if you were a stripper and you would still be a nice gal. This is just your job. The flirting and laughing are just for better tips, am I right?" He didn't wait for an answer, "But—"

"That's all very philosophical." Suzie reached for her tray as Dale set down the last drink of her order. "I have to work. I'll talk to you later...if I can find the time."

Rowdy watched as she went off again and this time it was his turn to be startled by the voice near his ear.

"She really is something, isn't she?" Tim said.

"Yeah. Something." Rowdy murmured.

But what?

"Rowdy!"