Chapter 18

"Remember, there's going to be a crib, a walker, a car seat, bottles, formula, baby food, diapers, toys..."

"I get it." Rowdy laughed. "Not just a few things tossed into a suitcase."

"Nope. And I didn't even mention all the food in the fridge that will have to go so it won't spoil."

"I hadn't thought of that."

"I know. I helped you clean out your fridge when you got back from that trip to the fishing cabin you rented last year."

"Right. I'd forgotten about that. I don't think the lab could have identified half of that stuff we threw out."

"Probably right." Dennis laughed.

"Rowdy?"

Rowdy turned around and saw Suz coming down the stairs. She was wearing one of mom's dresses with a sweater.

...and his dad's old slippers?

"I'll talk to you in a little bit, Dennis." Rowdy disconnected without waiting for an answer.

"I didn't mean to interrupt."

"You didn't. You look nice."

"Thanks. This was the only thing I could find that fit. Your mom is a lot shorter than me. And none of her shoes fit, but I found these old slippers in the closet." Suzie gave a bashful sort of shrug. "My boots don't exactly go with this ensemble."

"I'm going to grab a shower and change. Empty out the diaper bag—and before you protest, remember that we're going straight to your place when we leave, so you can fill it up again. I've got a few suitcases I can throw in the back of the truck, and Dad kept a few empty crates stacked in the garage. I'll grab mom's cloth grocery bags too."

"Am I moving?"

"Everything of Brody's and all of your clothes." Rowdy nodded "Oh, and Dennis reminded me that we should empty out the fridge too, so things won't spoil."

"That will take a while."

"I'll call Dennis when we leave. They'll meet us there. Jazlyn can keep Brody occupied. Dennis and I can haul everything down the steps to the truck, and we'll leave the packing to you and Ebony."

"Smart plan."

"Dennis's plan. Another plan...I'm your body guard here at Baker House and around town when you have to run errands. I'm also Brody's babysitter when you need to work. Dennis will pick you up and be your body guard while you're at work."

"You've thought of everything."

"Would it do any good to ask you to stay home until this is solved?

"None at all."

"Didn't think so." Rowdy heard her laughing as he headed back to his room.

Life was about to get really interesting...but maybe he didn't mind so much...

---

"There you go, Little Man." Rowdy whispered as he laid Brody down in his little playpen.

He smiled as Brody tucked his little legs under his belly and stuck his bottom up in the air. He'd sleep through the night if he didn't get too wet. Rowdy left his bedroom door ajar and grabbed a beer on his way through the kitchen. He'd left James Rollins's latest Sigma Force novel by his favorite chair. He figured he'd read several chapters next to the fire before he turned in.

He was so engrossed in the page-turner that he missed Winchester's warning growl and startled at the sound of the knock. Crossing to the mantel, he grabbed his service weapon and tucked it in the back of his pants-waist. Repeating his split-door check, he smiled as his visitor and was opening the full door a minute later.