Chapter 02

Suzie sighed and blew a loose strand of hair from her eyes as she expertly filled the ketchup bottles. She had to finish up her side work here then hurry home to change before starting her closing shift at Dale's.

It was rough after working at the café all day. The wage was only enough to pay the sitter, but the tips were good...especially when she wore what Cherry called "the uniform." It consisted of a short black leather skirt, thigh-high high-heeled boots, and a man's white dress-shirt unbuttoned and tied to expose her black lacy bra and bare tummy.

She agreed to wear her long hair down, but vetoed the red lipstick. Cherry said that shiny gloss was just as sexy in low-light, but the guys wouldn't be looking the color of her lipstick, anyway. Cherry assured her that the guys in Evans Creek were mostly of the decent sort. They were also mostly married. But, Cherry cautioned, they were still men.

"You seem distracted." Betsy said as she pulled up a chair across from Suzie to start rolling silverware.

"Brody's sick. I thought he was just teething, but... he was running a fever and wouldn't stop crying so I drove out to Tri-County. He needed medicine and I felt awful because I couldn't afford it."

"I could spot you the money."

"No need. The nurse said that the doctor might be okay with a shot and some samples. She left to check, but came back with the regular medicine. When I asked how much, she said it was taken care of. But there was no receipt."

"So?"

"When have you ever gone to a pharmacy when they didn't staple the receipt over the top of the bag with the instructions?"

"Never, now that I think about it." Betsy admitted. "Maybe it was the nurse or the doctor and they didn't want to embarrass you...just to help?"

"You're probably right." Suzie looked at her watch and sighed.

"You working at Dale's tonight?" Suzie nodded. "Go. I can finish up the side work. You're almost done anyway."

"You're an angel!" Suzie grinned as she headed for the door.

"That's what friends are for." Betsy called after Suzie.

---

A week later, Rowdy saw Suzie's car at the grocery store and frowned. That wreck couldn't last much longer.

Then what would Suzie do?

Rowdy shook his head. It wasn't any of his business unless she needed a police officer. He frowned as he thought of responding to a call that affected Suzie and that little baby.

He wished that he could convince himself that his interest was purely professional, as a servant of the people. In his mind he heard Betsy telling him what a saint Suzie was, always doing extra, even when she didn't have to...and Dennis telling him that she was a nice gal...

Annoyed with himself, he focused on the reason for his trip to town: He needed a bottle of wine for his date with Ashley tonight.

He was the worst kind of fool.

---

Fridays at Dale's were always busy, but tonight Cherry called in sick. Suzie barely had time for mild empathy. Dale, the owner, took over the bar and sent Tim out to help.

Suzie was dead on her feet by 11:00pm and the place showed no signs of slowing.

"What is going on?" Suzie sighed as she waited for Dale to fill her orders. "It wasn't like this last Friday."

Tim shrugged and turned on his heel, gracefully delivering drinks in almost a dance. When he was behind the bar, it was amazing how he flipped, tossed, and spun things and never spilled a drop. Every drink was perfect.