Chapter 21

The two of them sat on the blanket, playing patty-cake while Suzie made a plate for Brody.

"I can take him, Mrs. Baker." Suzie said reaching.

"Nonsense. My best friend has two little boys. The youngest isn't much older than this little cherub. I can feed him. Just set the plate over where I can reach it."

"Are you sure?"

"Sure, I'm sure." Mrs. Baker smiled. "You know, her husband got called up to fight right after she found out she was pregnant with her second boy. That poor baby hasn't ever met his daddy, and the older one doesn't remember him. But someday the war will end and our boys will come home."

"Yes." Suzie smiled sadly as she watched Mrs. Baker feed Brody.

It was years of practice and raising three boys of her own that allowed Mrs. Baker to manage the fine art of keeping Brody happy and eating, while keeping the plate safe from pudgy little fingers. It nearly broke Suzie's heart when she looked up and saw Rowdy watching. His eyes looked shiny, even from here.

Probably the smoke from the grill.

"Keep telling yourself that." She whispered as she busied herself with getting a water bowl for Winchester.

---

When they left that morning, Suzie was surprised when she saw Brody's new car seat in the truck. She looked to Rowdy, but his expression let her know that he clearly would brook no arguments. Brody needed a new seat, and now he had one.

It was as simple as that, she supposed.

Letting Mrs. Baker have the front, Suzie climbed in back with Brody and the dog.

"I don't know who's tuckered more." Suzie whispered as she leaned forward to talk to the back of Rowdy's head.

"Mom's pretty tuckered too." Rowdy whispered as he cast a glance at his mom, sleeping with her head resting against the window.

"I'm really glad you thought of this. I think it was a good day for her."

"Yeah. She really enjoyed playing with Brody. Thanks for coming."

"I was happy to. And if there's ever another Sunday that I'm not working, maybe we can do this again. Or maybe your mom could come home for Christmas?"

"I don't think that's a good idea. Being at home might be too confusing for her, especially without dad there. But there's a dinner and dance for Thanksgiving. We could maybe do that?"

"I'd like that."

They fell into a comfortable silence as they drove the short distance remaining before stopping in front of Sunny Hills. Mrs. Baker woke up and was disoriented and frightened to the point of hysteria. Suzie kept the dog and the baby quiet while Rowdy tried to calm his mom. Orderlies came and helped her inside. Rowdy was obviously upset as he walked away from the truck.

He stood with is back to them, rigid and tense. His feet were braced, and his hands were on his hips as he stared out into the distance. She wanted to go to him, but she didn't move. She told herself it was because Brody snuggled her hand like a teddy bear and Winchester sprawled out over the seat, using her for a pillow. The truth was that he probably needed the time alone.

She knew the moment he came to terms with the whole thing, because his shoulders slouched and he seemed to crumble in on himself. With a roll of his shoulders, he seemed to shake it all off and put on a resigned face as he turned back toward them. She didn't say anything as he climbed into the truck and they drove out to Baker House.