Chapter 45

Previously -

if i start doubting Gaara, what will be left of me? Already konoha seems like a distant dream. Wait. Konoha......where is that?
__________________________

Now-

My blue eyes flashed open, as i stood inside my own memory. I was myself. Sort of. I could feel everything i felt at the time. But at the same time i felt trapped. My surroundings came to me as i felt myself slip into the memory.

"Naruto, come hurry! Rei is waiting for us!" My body moved quickly, chasing after, someone on. My mouth formed words that echo after the white haired boy.

"Im coming! Wait up!" I could my lungs aching and my stomach growling. But it felt familiar. As though it was something i dealt with daily. Wait. It was.
Snip snip snip.
That was the sound of my being fading away until it was the naruto i was in the memory. If asked my age i would reply, 5. If asked about my mother, i would say she was Rei. My brother, clear. I followed after Clear an Rei, heading towards the wagon barn. Rei slid heavy, thick metal chains onto the wooden stiff harness that was slung around my neck and resting on my shoulders. Its is similar in design to a horse harness.
And boy is it unpleasant.
Rei climbed into the Wagon, with Clear close behind. Rei sat down on the drivers seat, and ordered clear to sit in the back of the wagon. I took a deep breath as Rei cracked the whip and lashed my back. I can feel my skin tear, and warmth slide out in the form of a red liquid. I pushed forwards straining against the harness, trying desperately to move the heavy wagon behind me, which carried Rei and Clear. The wheels creaked and slowly began to turn as i strain, pulling the cart forward. My lung worked hard to drag air in, fueling my muscles which in turn served to pull the cart. I felt the mark of the whip that Rei wielded. As i dragged the the cart forward, it got a little easier to move. I got the easy part. Since the town in at the bottom of the hills. So Clear will be having to drag the cart up on the way back. I shuddered as another strike of leather licked my back, leaving its own red welt. Oh well. At least i only have one gash. Rei could have used the blade tipped one. Or even put the bit in. I hate the bit. Its so painful. Plus the metal doesn't taste right when its one your tongue. I dislike the taste of metal. My body leaned forward ad i pulled.
Finally after what seemed to be a lifetime, Rei told me to halt. When we stopped, Rei undid the harness and tied the cart to one of the trees, then proceeded to tie us up to one different trees. I yawned as the sun shone brightly in the late morning, or was it afternoon? I shrugged to myself and decided to take a nap.
"Night clear...." I mumbled out as my head rest against the tree and i fell asleep, still standing tied to a tree. A loud scream of pure agony woke me up violently. I recognized the scream. "CLEAR!?!" I screamed out my eyes focusing on Clears form. A dog, A very big dog, was hovering over top of him, slobber dibbling and into the blood puddles as it sank its teeth deep into Clears leg. Clear screamed again when the dog started to turn and twist, as if Clears leg was a chew toy the got stuck and he was simply trying to get it. My heart thudded loudly as i tried to think of how i could save Clear. Think Naruto! My eyes slid closed as i concentrated.
THINK!! Then my eyes flashed open, and i kicked a rock over in its direction. It didn't hurt the mutt. But it did get its attention away from Clear and as it focused on me. Just then the dogs ears perked up, at the faint sound of a whistle being blown. The dog darted off into the trees and through piles of leaves. I slid my attention from the fleeing dog towards Clear. "Clear!?l i cried out, straining against the ropes as i gazed at his bloodied leg. He left his head, his hair falling into his face. Pain fear and saddness all seemed to glaze over his face as he spoke.

"Im fine. Just injured my leg is all."
I breathe a sigh of relief. Which was quickly stopped at the thought of Rei coming back soon. My blood ran cold. Clear wouldn't be able to pull the cart with all the good, plus me and Rei! And he wont be able to do it up hill either! I bit my lip, trying to think of something that might help him. Then the sound hit me. The sound of Rei's footsteps. They echoed in my ears as she grew closer. Finally she stopped in front of us and she reached to release clear and tie him up to the harness. She practically dragged him across the ground to get him to the front. Impulse ran through me.

"Rei! You stupid bitch! I have seen cattle that look better than you!!" I screamed towards her back. Which was untrue since i had never even seen a cow to begin with. But whatever. Rei's form froze and she turned slowly, dropping Clear to the ground and walking slowly over towards me. I felt my breath quicken to match me heart rate.

"YOU INSOLENT FUCKING
BRAT !" Rei grasped my hair and slammed my head against the bark of the tree. It collided with a loud crack. I swallowed the urge to cry. "JUST FOR THAT YOU GET TO PULL THE CART !" Rei screamed into my face tearing the ropes that held me in place, and chaining me up into the harness before yanking at my jaw forcing my mouth open to shoving the bit into my mouth. I gagged on reflex and then she slammed my head down into the ground. The metal of the bit in my mouth banged against my teeth as i landed. I pushed my self off of the ground as Rei climbed into the cart. Trying to adjust to the harsh metal in my moth and stood and tried once more to pull the much heavier cart.

__________________________