Chapter 40

1928
Nick stood on the platform. His bag was in his hand, his hair slightly disheveled as if he had slept on it. He looked utterly exhausted; had he tossed and turned the whole journey?
In his jacket with the patched-over elbows and worn hem looked tatty compared to anything in Ruth's house- and I smiled. His jacket looked like my brown dress that I had long-outgrown and always wore. His clothes, no doubt, smelt like fresh-cut hay.
His eyes locked with mine. He smiled, a little slowly, and didn't flinch as I ran down the platform. He opened his arms as I threw myself to him, only rocking slightly with my weight.
He held me close to him. He tightened his grip, and I felt his shoulders shake with release. I did the same, trembling with my tears, breathing in the scent of his jacket. He did smell like hay, and I could picture the pieces he had picked off it.
Nick's arms were snug around me. I relaxed into them, breathing into his jacket, resting my forehead on his shoulder. He only pulled away when he heard my first sob.
"Oh, Josie, what's wrong?" Nick asked. He moved a little away from me, still keeping his hands on my shoulders. When I kept my head bent, he knelt as my feet.
"Josie?" He asked again.
"I'm just so happy to see you," I forced a smile, "I've just been lonely, that's all."
He frowned, "you look tired- have you been sleeping?"
"That's funny, I was about to ask you the same thing."
We walked back up the platform, our arms wound around each other. He pressed a kiss to my temple before I could bat him off, and I felt my face grow hot.
   I looked up to where Jack was waiting on the road above the station. He looked down, saw that I was with Nick, and waved. He turned and began walking home, as if to give us the time to talk alone. I looked over at Nick.
"I told you not to come, that I was fine," I said, "you really didn't need to come all this way."
"I know, and I should have asked, but Josie, I knew you wouldn't tell me even if you did need me."
I frowned, "and for good reason, Nick."
He flinched at my darkened expression, "what?"
"My grandmother isn't a good person," I could feel the blood rushing to my face, "I don't think she'll let you sleep in the house. She's already tried kicking kicking Jack out, and I doubt she even really wants me under her roof."
"I figured as much," he said, "I'm sure I can find a place to sleep tomorrow, maybe in return for some labour."
"And tonight?"
"I'll sleep under your bedroom window- or the porch. Don't worry, Jose, I really don't mind where I sleep. You know me."
"I know you well enough to know you deserve better."
He half smiled, and pulled me closer. He smelled of the same cheap soap I used at home, and it's vague floral scent. I pressed myself into his jacket.
We walked in silence for a while, comfortable and content in each other's company. Every once in a while, I would see Jack looking around at us in the moonlight.
I suddenly turned to him, "Nick, is everything alright at home?"
"Of course," there was a sense of laughter in his voice, "what makes you ask that?"
"You never really talk about your folks, and you rush home, but don't seem to want to. And you've come all this way for me."
"Is there anything wrong with that? I love you, you know."
"Of course not," I said, "but Nick, you always talk about your brothers, but never your parents."
"Why are you bringing this up now?"
I paused, "I've just been thinking a lot recently, replaying conversations in my head and stuff- there's not much else to do around here, really."
He didn't talk for a while, and I thought I had pushed things too far, or that he had forgotten to reply. At last, he said, "my ma's lovely- you'd love her. But my father's not the kind of person I want you to be around. I don't want you to see the things that I have, or be spoken to the way I am, by that man. He's just not a good person."
I rubbed his arm, "I've know you for so long, and you've never told me this."
"I've never told anyone, Josie."
I nodded, "is there another reason you've come all this way?"
"Should there be?"
"It's a lot of money, Nick."
There was more silence, "I don't know, Josie. Without you there, everything just felt worse, you know?"
"I think the same can be said for here, you know."
He forced smiled, but I could swear that I saw tears behind his eyes. He blinked, and the expression was gone.
We were suddenly at Ruth's house, and Nick walked with me to the front door. It was there that I hugged him goodnight, and told him that I would be back out after talking to Jack.
I stepped inside, and Jack was waiting for me by the fireplace, "why is he here, Josie?"
"I think he was just worried, Jack," I lied, "the last time any of us disappeared unexpectedly, he got shot."
"You're right," he said, "but I don't think this is a good idea, Josie."
"I know, Ruth is going to be furious. Nick knows, though, and he's willing to sleep outside tonight. Tomorrow he'll find somewhere better."
He nodded, "there's some woollen blankets under the stairs. You can get him set up in the spare stable and come back inside to bed. I'll wait up."
"Does mamma know?"
"I told her," he smiled as if he couldn't pretend to be serious any longer, "she's a little surprised, but she's okay with it."
I went back outside to Nick, where he sat on the top step, "am I going to have to hide under the porch? Or that bush? Or perhaps that flower pot-"
"No," I laughed, "you're lucky we have a spare stable."
He chuckled, and I imagined that he felt relieved that he would not have to sleep under the stars, completely exposed in a new place.
I lit a lantern and hung it over the stable door, and spread out the woollen blankets on the straw bed. It looked rather cozy amongst all of the straw, as if it would be warmer and nicer that my own bed.
I curled up in it, and Nick joined me. We huddled together, wrapping blankets around us to fight off the cold.
Nick had his arms around me, and I rested in his warmth. I was so tired, and it was so warm under the blankets, and the air so cold...
Before I could doze off, Nick shook me awake, "Jack's probably still waiting up for you."
I struggled to my feet and helped him wrap the remaining blankets over him. His eyes were clouded with sleep, and his face pale with the cold. I frowned.
"Give me half an hour," I said, "and then climb up the trellis to that window- that's my bedroom, look." I pointed out of the stable door, "you'll just have to wake up early and make it look like you slept out here."
"You're sure this is a good idea?"
"It's a horrible idea," I suppressed my smile, "that's what makes it so fun, right?"
"Right."
I went back inside, and said goodnight to Jack as I went up the stairs. I went into my room, locked the door, and hurriedly changed into my nightclothes.
At last, I drew back the curtains, and waited for Nick to come into view.
He eventually emerged and began the long ascent. He climbed up carefully, cautious of pulling the trellis from the wall.
There was a creak as he reached the midway point, and I saw that that the wood was buckling. He eased his foot from the rotten panel, and placed it on another rung.
I let out a breath I didn't know that I had been holding, and he did too. He continued climbing, slower than before, before there was an almighty crack.
He plunged, and let out a gasp. We instantly froze, and I could hear Ruth stirring in the next room. I pushed a finger to my lips and looked down.
He scrambled further up, quickly again, and let me haul him over the side. We rocked back silently onto the rug, and I suppressed my laugher.
Giggling, we got up onto the bed, and rolled back with laughter. Our bodies shook with the struggle of holding it in, and by the time it had stopped, we were under the covers. Nick had his arms around me once more, and my head rested on his shoulder. For the first time in weeks, I was happy.
I felt Nick move beneath me, and I startled.
   "Hold me a little longer," I whispered, "just until I fall asleep."
  Nick nodded against my head, wrapping both of his arms tighter around me. Safely in the warmth, I felt my mind still.