Ruth's Letters

19th of July, 1927

Dear Rose,
   As my daughter, you have held a certain responsibility your entire life. Most importantly, your responsibility to our family. As the only heir to the Dewitt Bukater fortune, your priority ought to have been our survival. By ours, Rose, I mean to include your own. Contrary to your belief, my acts were not decidedly selfish. My emphasis on marriage was simply a means to keep our head's above water during such a perilous time.
   You can imagine, particularly after the loss of your father who I was married to for over twenty years, that your supposed loss took a toll on my well-being. Not only did I not have the means to sustain the life I had grown accustomed to, but I had lost my only surviving child and closest confidant. I lost not only my daughter, but my friend.
   Your actions, Rose, have consequences. Fortunately for you, you have managed to evade the results of them. By deceiving all of us, particularly Mr Hockley, you have left me disgraced. While you have been galavanting about with that boy, I have been forced to find my own means for survival.
   Rose, I am writing to you on this particular occasion to assure you that your mother has survived your reckless actions. Although I had no such pleasure, I sincerely hope I have fulfilled my role as mother, and guardian, to you.
   With all due respect,
                                          Ruth E. Dewitt Bukater

25th of October, 1927

Dear Rose,
I am writing for the soul purpose of insuring you know of my current situation. In recent months, my health has taken a slight turn and I have found myself incapacitated.
The doctor has been sent for several times, and he insures me my situation is temporary and I should not be bed-ridden for much longer. He believes some time in the country could benefit me greatly, and I am partial to agree. The city air does little to benefit the young, let alone the old. I must make the journey upstate soon, lest I worsen.
I write this in order to inform you of my condition in the event that something more sinister is at play. You are under no obligation to visit me, nor write.
Sincerely,
Ruth E. Dewitt Bukater

14th of December, 1927

Dear Rose,
I hope this finds you well. I am afraid I am not fairing the best. The rest did little for my health, and the decline is apparent. I have returned to Philadelphia. It is clear that there is something more severe underlying and it is unclear whether or not I shall see the new year.
I would like to see you before it happens.
Affectionately,
Your mother