Chapter 29

1928

   As I opened the front door, Nick spun me around and kissed me goodnight. Before I could react, he launched off into the night and left me stood alone. I slipped in, heat still in my cheeks, and no doubt blushing.
I took his coat, that he had forgotten to retrieve, from around my shoulders and hung it on the peg. I turned around, expecting to see a lit fire and Jack and mamma sat by the fire. The room was cold and empty.
I regretted removing the coat instantly, but quickly hurried into the kitchen. The light was on, but the room was gravely silent. Mamma and Jack were seated at the table.
"What's the matter?" I said, stepping in.
Their heads rose quickly, but mamma lowered her's to whatever was on the table. Jack stood, almost knocking over his chair, and rushed to me.
"Outside," he whispered, and I suddenly worried that I had done something wrong. I seized with the fear that someone had written to them about Nick and I, or that the mercantile's owner had finally written to complain about my conduct. My heart raced at dizzying speed.
We went back out through the front door, and Jack, realising my dress was damp, handed me my coat. I put it on and followed him outside.
"Jack," I said, keeping my eyes fixed on the barn, "am I in trouble? Have I upset mamma?"
He looked at me in surprise, "what? No! Josie, what could you have done wrong- tell me? You hardly leave the house, what could you have done wrong?"
"Then what is it?" I pushed.
He sat down on the steps, but I remained stood behind him.
"Josie," he slowly said, "you mamma got a letter today. From a Mrs Dewitt Bukater. Your grandmother."
He remained silent for a moment, then continued, "she claims that she is dying. Her fortune is gone, but what remains of it will be left to your mamma, or at least we hope."
"Jack-" I started, but swiftly stopped. There were hurried footsteps approaching, supposedly running.
He stood, his arm stretched over it. He dropped it in an instant.
"Nick?"
He appeared quickly, "I left my jacket- sorry to disturb."
"You wait here," I said, dipping inside and grabbing the coat. I passed it to him, and he lowered his voice so that only I could hear.
"You okay, Jose?"
I nodded, "It'll be okay- I'll tell you when I can."
"Goodnight, Josie, Sir," he said, and dashed back off.
"Jack?" I said when Nick was out of earshot, "is mamma okay? Are you?"
"I'm fine, Josie, but your grandmother never did like me much. Your mamma was indifferent to her- but it's a shock. It's still her mother, you know."
I nodded, "will mamma go to see her?"
"I don't know- maybe. I think I'll have to go with her though," he sighed, "you alright, kid?"
"Yeah."
When he opened his arms, I accepted and sank into his hug. Jack was a good hugger after all; even better than mamma. I could feel him huff another heavy breath, and another. As if he was too tired to breath naturally- too drained.

"Mamma?" I sat down at the table, sitting beside her carefully.
"Oh, Josie," her voice was brittle as she turned to me. Blotches were raised and swollen across her cheeks, her eyes dull. She pulled me into a hug and her hand graced my hair, her grasp tight on my back. She trembled against me and I raised my eyes to Jack.
He sat on her other side, and turn her towards him. He let her fall into his arms, which I was more than grateful for. I watched him nervously.
She cried for a little while, and then slid the bundle of letters to me. They were bound together, as if someone had collected them over a long period of time and eventually sent them to the correct place. The date on the letters themselves differed, allowing me to assume that the original, incorrect receiver had taken time to locate us.
"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, but something grey crossed her face.
"No," she said stiffly, "I don't think I do. She was selfish, and bad, and does not deserve any more of my grief."
She went up to bed, and I did not see her again until late morning.