37. Home or Home?

Louis POV

I should have checked on Harry before going to bed that night. I fully intended to. I had promised Lux I would. Thomas had even texted me that Harry hadn't answered the door when he'd come by. I hadn't dwelled too heavily on that because Harry didn't answer the door for me most of the time either, especially if he was sleeping. I had a key. I could get in easily.

Knowing this, I fully intended to check on him until around midnight, when Becca and I finally made it back to my hotel room. Unfortunately, I seemed to forget those responsibilities when I arrived. My door was barely closed before Becca was on me, pulling the rest of my loose buttons apart and shoving the fancy dress shirt off my shoulders. I wasn't sure where I'd found it in myself to be so passionately reciprocal, but that night wasn't anything of the timid drunken night of the previous day. Becca made me feel like I was cool. She didn't see me as a lame dad. She thought I was sexy and exciting. It made it easy to be confident.

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and comfortable. When I rolled over, I expected to see Becca but the spot beside me was empty. I learned through text that she had a work meeting to be at. She left her bra on the floor. I didn't really know if that was intentional, but it felt intentional.

I made quick work of showering and dressing. I wanted to leave as soon as possible to get home to Oliver. It had been too long and although the weekends escapades had been a welcome distraction, I was ready to be home with him again. Calling just wasn't the same.

I crossed the hallway to Harry's room and knocked, waiting a minute. He didn't answer. I grabbed my key card and let myself in and found him asleep, snoring atop the mattress fully clothed in his outfit from the previous day. He was curled up quite uncomfortably, with his face smashed into the comforter. Thomas had told me nobody answered the door when he'd come by. I assumed he was just asleep and his state told me he'd likely been in bed early. He hadn't even taken time to change.

I leaned over and tapped his hand. I expected him to rouse, but I didn't expect for him to jerk so violently away from me. His eyes flew open and he sat bolt upright looking alarmed.

"Good morning?" I said blinking at him.

Harry rubbed his eyes and seemed to come to full consciousness, looking around his room looking confused. When his eyes settled on me, he seemed to force a smile.

"Morning," he finally responded.

"Sorry I didn't make it by last night," I said glancing around his room. He kept things immaculate. Packing up to go would be easy for him, unlike me. I still had a ways to go. "I got caught up in things."

Harry smirked and then eyed me with a suspicious humor that only sort of matched his tired eyes. "Caught up with Becca, you mean?"

I rolled my eyes. "No," I lied.

Harry just laughed and then laid back down. "I don't want to be awake."

I grabbed an unused pillow from the head of the bed and tossed it at him. It hit him with a soft thud and he groaned as if wounded. "Come on! I'm going to be back soon. I want us to leave before we get roped into anything else. I miss home."

Harry groaned something that sounded like an agreement into the pillow. I didn't wait for him to argue further, instead heading back to my own room.

Packing up wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I stared at Beccas bra for a while before packing it into my bags as well. I wasn't sure what else to do with it. Surely I couldn't just walk up to her and return it, but leaving it felt rude as well.

When my room was empty, I made a call to Naomi. I assured her that she could report to Lux that Harry was alive and well although possibly still sleeping. I saw Oliver over FaceTime and he excitedly tried to grab Naomis phone. I was proud of the both of them. They had seemingly held down the fort themselves and that was commendable.