17. Trauma Dump

Harry's POV

"Wake up!" Phoebes voice permeated my broken sleep. My eyes immediately flashed open to sound of her voice.

At first I was startled. I didn't know where I was. Then I recognized my surroundings. The dim living room, the familiar sofa and Lux's blanket barely covering me. I also recognized the tween laying up under my arm, smiling at me and hogging most of the blanket. She looked amused. The previous day came flooding back to my brain and I deflated.

"Why?" I asked in reference to the rude awakening.

"They're about to come in here and sing you Happy Birthday," Phoebe said quickly.

"That sounds like a nightmare," I muttered rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"You had nightmares," she observed slithering out from under my arm and rising from the sofa. The clock on the wall told me I'd only really slept a handful of hours. Phoebe had fallen asleep talking and I'd followed shortly after Daisy awoke. I was just more comfortable with the kids. If I'd let myself quit being a dick long enough to get a conversation going, they brought all the peace I needed with them.

"I don't have nightmares," I lied rising too. Phoebe just raised her eyebrows like I should know better than to be dishonest in this house. Together we neatly folded Lux's blanket and set it with my things. I felt better that morning than I had the previous night. My brain wasn't screaming at me quite so loud. The jitters were subsiding. I felt kind of hazy and hungover but I had expected that.

"Do you want to avoid the singing?" She asked me seriously.

"Obviously," I laughed. We could both hear people in the kitchen. Louis seemed to be talking cheerily to his mum. Daisy had disappeared when I wasn't conscious but the Kardashians were still gossiping on the television.

She grabbed my arm and started for the front door. "Let's go pretend to be helpful."

Apparently Phoebes version of helpful meant walking two blocks to the corner store without telling anyone. I felt like I was breaking at least 11 major rules by not announcing my departure to Louis. Was Jay even cool with me leaving the house with her child? Sure, Phoebe was a teenager and could probably leave on her own if she wanted to but surely I wasn't trustworthy enough to accompany her. Not after the performance I had put on the previous day.

Phoebe made fun of me for worrying but I sent a text to Louis. There was no context provided, just "BRB."

Since neither of us were clever enough to plan a dignified escape, Phoebe was still in her pajamas and I was wearing dirty slept in street clothes. My head pounded in a horrible brain splitting way but I was working to get past that without letting it affect my attitude. That didn't stop Phoebe from practically dragging me into the little store with giggles. It wasn't busy except for a few elderly patrons. I hoped I'd just go unnoticed, but if I didn't I'd just have to deal. At least Doncaster was small.

We passed a row of liquor bottles. Phoebe took one look at me noticing it and dragged me along with an unceremonious jerk of my arm. I heard her muttering "You're impossible," to me as we went by.

"Shut up."

"Let's get milk," Phoebe suggested. "We always need milk." I perked up at the thought, but not for the reason Phoebe was thinking.

I nodded and dragged her away from the dairy section before coming upon a row of aluminum cans full of powdered baby formula. I had no idea what Louis needed though. Phoebe stared at it looking just as confused as I did before remembering the abandoned motherless baby at home that was dangerously low in milk supply. We both stared at each other nervously for a moment before I had the sense to make a google search. I ignored the single message on the screen.