Chapter 24

Tuesday was my first day of school as a married student. That wasn't something I'd ever thought I'd say, and yet I was thrilled to say it was true. I was expecting it to be an exciting day, with a change in the way we spent it. Right off the bat there was a big difference, as my mom was coming with us to the school to deliver restraining orders to Dave, Vince, and George. While she was waiting on them to be paged to the front office, Sam took care of updating her emergency contact info, replacing her father with my mom so that he wouldn't have any access to her at the school. He wouldn't be able to anyway, as there would be a restraining order against him soon enough.

"Ms. Bishop, do you have any classes with these boys?" the principal, Ms. Dobbins asked.

"I have calculus with Vince in second period, but that's it," she replied.

The principal nodded, relieved there wouldn't be too many schedule changes. "I'll work out a way to shift him into another math class, and in the meantime, he will have a free period until it can be arranged. We'll keep them away from you."

"If you don't, I will." I said flatly. I planned to walk Sam to and from every class, and if anything happened, I wasn't going to be waiting on a teacher to fix it.

"Ms. Reynolds, we don't condone violence at this school, you should know that!" Ms. Dobbins objected.

"If they violate their restraining order, I'm assuming it is going to be self-defense, ma'am. I'm just telling you now, I won't hesitate to protect my wife."

"Err, wife?"

"Yes, we were married two days ago." Sam held her hand up to show her the rings, and I followed suit.

"Ahh! Very good! I don't think we've ever had a married couple here at the school," she smiled. "I guess I don't have to ask if you have a prom date lined up!"

We both smiled at that, happy to not hear anything condescending from her.

When we left the principal's office, we saw the three boys in the waiting room with my mom keeping an eye on them. Vince and George both had their heads hanging low, but Dave gave us a glare as we walked past him with no cares. Hopefully the meeting they were about to have would smack some sense into him, but I didn't think it likely.

We didn't even think about hiding our relationship. We were wearing our rings, and we were going to act like the couple we were. Neither of us had anything to hide, and while I was sure there would be some pushback, we also knew there would be support too. We also had no problem shutting up anyone who wanted to say anything to us, I was almost looking forward to it.

The best part of the new situation was that Sam didn't have to sit in front of me with her cousins in first period, she sat next to me instead. Ms. Walker noticed immediately and smiled at us. She did have the advantage of seeing us in creative writing where we had been more open, so seeing us together wasn't a shock, even if she didn't see the glittering rings.

When the M&Ms arrived, they started stomping their way towards us, and you could almost see the steam coming from their ears as they got closer. But when Maggie opened her mouth to speak, Sam held her hand up for silence.

"I'm about to be very nice to you both, so listen up. You both know how well my father reacts to failure, and you have both failed. Two days ago, Sam and I got married." At this point, both of their jaws dropped. "Yesterday, I met with the lawyer in charge of the trust and claimed the inheritance, and then sold the company. It is gone, the deal with Dave's family is no longer valid as our family doesn't own it anymore. The sale will be made public around lunch time today, and at that point my father will get a visit from the new owners who will escort him off the premises as he will be out of a job. Now, that gives you roughly four hours to move out of the house before he gets home and needs someone to blame. Unless you somehow think that Dave is serious about one of you, and you both know he's too much of a player for that, I would get back to your folk's place as fast as you can before my father decides this is all your fault." By the end of her story, both Maggie and Melissa were as pale as wet notebook paper left in the sun for a week, and I was afraid that they were going to puke.