Chapter 8

By the time Friday rolled around, things had settled down. At least they had for me, but Sam said that her cousins were still fighting at home, and that her father was angry with them for interfering with the contract. I'm so glad that Sam wasn't truly attracted to Dave, or her cousins' actions would have been unforgivable. In this case they were just funny to watch.

He didn't seem to think it was something to disqualify Dave though, he was still the choice for marriage. Setting a good example and being a decent human wasn't something that was a priority. Knowing the little I did about her father, he probably thought it showed his character that he was able to please so many women. Right, being unfaithful is a quality characteristic!

I had told Maggie and Melissa that I already had a girlfriend, and that I'd met her while still going to school on the other side of the city. Both of these were true, but they also applied to Sam since I had met her while still attending my old middle school, so I wasn't lying. Not that I was planning on telling them that. When they asked me her name however, I scoffed at their request. If they already used slurs towards me, why would I risk them doing the same to her on social media!

The afternoon classes with Sam were by far the best time of the day. There had been a lot of snuggles and kisses, but we'd also watched several movies in the library, and grown closer as we discovered more about each other. Other than the fact that I liked cats, and Sam liked dogs, we had so much in common! Even that wasn't too bad, we could just get some of each! You know, in the future. When we're together like in my dreams. Too much, too soon? I can't help it!

Sam and I both turned in our short stories to Ms. Walker earlier, and now we sat in the library each clutching our own copies to let the other read. With a sigh, I passed mine over. "No picking on me!"

"I'm more worried about what you'll think of me after you read mine!" she claimed, while passing hers over.

I settled back and leaned against the wall while starting to read. In moments I was smiling at her views of what had happened. Her going into more depth about what she had been feeling at the spelling bee almost brought me to tears soon after, and then I was smiling again when she described how happy she was when we were holding hands on stage. Having Sam's view of what my actions meant to her had me almost crying for both the grief she'd felt and happiness that I'd unknowingly helped to such a degree.

I giggled as the described the blue ink mark in her panties from the phone number, and how she likened it to the first time I had marked her. Then I was sad when I read more about how heartbroken she was for most of the year, afraid that I would be upset that she'd ignored calling me. We'd both been through so many similar situations, it was sad to think of what might have happened if just a few things had gone our way.

The big differences came when I read beyond our current lives. She had a cute scene where I snuck to her house on Thanksgiving to give her a little plate of turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing with gravy because it turned out that her dad hated the traditional meal and always made some fancy duck dish that was inevitably poorly cooked. Now that I knew that I made it my mission to do just that. When Jessie was back from college, we only had three people for our dinner, but we'd still make a little turkey and then have leftovers for a week. We always tried to make fun things with the leftovers, and so far, Jessie had won with a delicious turkey and mushroom risotto. You couldn't go wrong with turkey wraps with a little stuffing and cranberry sauce though.

Her next few paragraphs dealt with her sneaking out of her house and coming to my place for my birthday. It was a sweet little paragraph until she wanted to give me a special present, and then I had to stop reading for a bit because I was blushing too much. I can't believe she wrote that about us, she was a lot more detailed than I'd been!