Chapter 13

Wednesday was like an asteroid hurtling towards us that we just couldn't escape. Sam and I snuggled each day we could in the library, with her terrified and me doing my best to assure her that me and my mom would protect her. I must have said happy birthday to her a dozen times, but with the threat of Dave hanging over her head, it most certainly wasn't happy. When you're the target, there is only so much that any assurances can do. It didn't help that her cousins were acting like total bitches the entire week, constantly dropping comments about baby names and weddings.

I really wanted to punch them.

"So, Melissa, I'm confused. You both know that Sam hates Dave, and yet you seem to think she's going to have babies with him? Why would she ever want to do that?" I asked her during PE.

"Who says she wants to?" she scoffed.

"Exactly, so if she doesn't want to, why would she?" I continued, hoping she'd say something stupid.

"Dave always gets what he wants." Maggie said sweetly with an evil smirk.

"Ahh. So, rape is the plan? And you're okay with that?" I confirmed.

"It isn't rape. He is her fiancé. He can have sex with her any time he wants!" Maggie growled.

"You probably need to look up the definition of consent. Because if he tries something, fiancé or not, he'll be arrested," I assured them.

"He's never been arrested before!" Melissa pointed out.

"There is a first time for everything," Sam countered. "I'll rip his nuts right out of that little sack of his. Since you guys like them so much, I'll give one to each of you."

"Her dad must really be paying you well for you to be so hateful towards Sam. I truly hope that Karma fucks you both up the ass with a weed whacker," I said a sweetly as Maggie had. "What if he told you two you needed to get married to each other in order to help out the business?"

"Eww! That's gross!" exclaimed Maggie. "She's my sister!"

"So? He's making Sam do something she doesn't want to, why wouldn't you do it? What's the difference?" I wondered.

"But she should want to! He's dreamy!" Melissa retorted.

"Well, there are people that think you two are beautiful, so you should be happy together. Still the same thing." I argued.

"Fuck you, Abby. She's going to marry him and that is all that matters." Maggie spat at me. Sam was covering her mouth, trying not to laugh at her cousins to no avail.

Unfortunately, our stimulating conversation was cut short by the bell.

The last half of our library time that day was excruciating. I sat on the floor, leaning against the wall with Sam curling up in my lap while trembling in fear. As much as I was squeezing her it didn't seem to matter. Nothing would make her feel better till the night was over and she was safe.

"I'm going to be with my mom in the car, okay? We'll follow you, and she'll go into the restaurant since he won't know her. I'll stay outside in case he tries to do anything, and Steven will stay nearby for backup," I reassured her while rubbing circles on her back.

"I know, you guys will protect me. I just hate that it even comes to this," she sniffled into my neck. "If my dad wasn't an asshole, I'd be at your house tonight snuggling up and watching movies, not fearing for my life."

"That sounds like a much better plan to me! I love you Sammy, I'm never going to let him hurt you. I will ruin him if he tries anything at all!" I promised her, looking into her eyes to make sure she knew how serious I was.