Chapter 10

When the movie was over, we each got ready for bed. I gave Sam a spare toothbrush, hoping she'd be able to use it many times in the future, and then let her borrow a big tee shirt to sleep in. I offered her some shorts as well, but she said the shirt was all she needed. Yep, I'm going to be a nervous wreck in bed. But we turned on Tangled to fall asleep to, and then curled up under the covers. Sam was in just the long tee shirt and her panties. I did the same, and we each were blushing quite a bit as we noticed just how much leg was exposed.

It wasn't like we hadn't checked each other out in PE or on the soccer field, but the knowledge that if I grabbed the hem of that shirt, and lifted it just a bit, that I'd see so much more of her had my heart racing.

"Abby, can I kiss you?" Sam whispered while we lay in the dark together.

The blinds were closed, and only a faint bit of light from the hall night light shone into the room. My eyes had adjusted to the dark, and I could see her face inches from mine. I'd hoped for kisses, and really wanted to feel her pressed against me with no school librarians to worry about.

"I told you, you never have to stop kissing me," I reminded her. "Now bring those lips over here so I can kiss my girlfriend!"

Her giggle delayed the kiss, but not for long. She rolled her whole body into me, her lips melding into mine as I happily sighed into her. Her leg was thrown over my hips and reminded me once more that we didn't have much on. It didn't help that her nipples were poking through the sleep shirt and that I could feel them pressing into me. I think she could probably feel mine too, since neither of us were sleeping in a bra.

"I can't believe this is really happening!" she finally said once we broke for air. "I honestly thought we'd never have a night alone!"

"Sammy, come on, you know were going to have a ton of these. We're not letting your dad make you marry Dave, and we're going to have our lives together!" I promised her, holding her close while I felt her hot tears dripping onto my cheek.

"Just hold me," she sobbed lightly. "I want to believe that I really do. But my dad isn't one to take no for an answer."

"I know. Then we'll make the best of whatever time together we have. I'll keep sneaking you out whenever he is away if I have to." I couldn't believe how miserable she was all because her father was being such an asshole. Why does greed make people hurt the people they're supposed to love?

"I don't know what I'd be doing or where I'd be if you hadn't shown up at school this year. I can't even imagine having to go through this alone," she whispered. Her hands were clutching my shirt in the middle of my back as if she thought I was going to float away.

"Oh man, I was so terrified that first day. The last time I saw you at the soccer game, you were getting dragged off the field by two blondes. I was crushed. All I could think was that it was just my luck that I'd fall in love with a girl with two girlfriends. I was expecting you to still be seeing them, and then first period there you are with them. I thought I was going to be heartbroken," I said with a chuckle, hoping to put her at ease.

She pulled away from me, look into my eyes with a huge smile. "Do you mean that?"

"Of course!" I scoffed. "You're a stunning woman, of course I could believe you'd have two girlfriends."

She shook her head softly, kissing the tip of my nose. "No, silly. I mean the part about you falling in love."

Oh damn, it was way too early to have said that! I don't know why my brain does that to me! If you're going to go down, I guess you go down swinging! "Umm. Well, I mean it was love to me at the time, yeah. But it wasn't close to what I feel now. I've learned so much about you since I've been at school that it has me falling deeper every day."