Chapter 26

Chapter 26:

Jayce's POV:

The last few weeks have been far too hectic for me. If Kendra lives such an unbalanced life like this, I don't know how I will ever be able to deal with it. Since we got to her home in California, life has been on a fast-paced rollercoaster. Not one that I have been enjoying either.

I thought things would be easy to take care of. They had a snitch, were losing product, and wanted to take care of it. It should have taken a total of a week to have everything dealt with and to get them back on track, but of course that's not the way it has gone.

When we found the bodies of other shifters in the abandoned warehouse, I should have known something bad was about to happen. I should have known going out and trying to have a normal, laidback night wasn't going to be a good idea. Instead, I agreed and we all went out. Then all hell broke loose and when everything was already chaotic, the unpredictable happened.

Men came looking for Kendra and Indy. Next, the rest of the girls showed up and the action started. When they say you're only as strong as your weakest player, that is all but false. This James guy went after Shadow and then Indy and Kendra went to her aid. Not that I dislike Shadow or think she is weak, because she is not. It's just she isn't as strong or powerful as the rest of the girls, so when the girls went to help her out, Indy got taken down.

With a gun filled with bullets full of liquid silver pressed against Indica's head, Haze couldn't take it anymore. Reason number one as to why you never let your girl make a dumb deal with you. We should never have stayed back and let the girls try to handle this themselves. As their men, we should have taken care of them. Like Ian and Kane. Yet they didn't come out until it was too late, like me.

Haze being the hot head he is, shifted and ran straight over the ledge of the second floor of the club. When the man holding Indy at gun point heard the demonic growl, he turned to take action, but only shot off one bullet, which missed. The bullets that pierced Haze didn't come from his gun, they came from Nate. Yeah, that Nate, Indy's right hand man.

When the shock of all that wore off, the guys and I jumped into the mix. Unfortunately we were a split second too late. The man with the silver bullets had already put his gun back to Indica's head. That is when he made the offer to leave with just her and that he wouldn't kill her or any of us.

Being the best friend and closest to Indy, Kendra agreed. Only to get shot in the back by James. After that happened, they all left. Leaving me and the rest of us to help Kendra and Haze. Kendra healed pretty quickly because the bullet didn't hit anything vital. She then explained to everyone why she allowed them to take Indy, who wasn't fighting back for some reason. Kendra said that no matter what, they would find her and get her back. That Indy was wanted alive for some reason.

After we left the club and got back to the house, Grace called a doctor. When he showed up, I was thoroughly surprised to see that he was human. He said he knew about us and that he was the one who has been helping the girls and their family out for years. Supposedly he was the one that came up with a lot of medical things they all used.  Like the medication they all took to mask their scent.

I made sure that he looked at Kendra first, I had to make sure she was alright. Then he got to work on Haze. First he took a couple of x-rays of Cole's chest. Two of the bullets missed his heart but made themselves at home in his ribcage. The other two though, they hit dead on. One pierced his heart, going straight through his body and out. The fourth bullet lodged itself in his heart.

After hours of sitting around as the doctor worked on Haze, Kendra came up to me. The first thing she says was that she loved me, which was followed with, "but I've got to go. We are about to leave and you're not coming with us. You have to stay here with Haze. Make him live. I can't loose my best friend." With that, she left. Not even a goodbye kiss.

Since then, a week has gone by and I have been sitting bedside Cole the entire time. Hoping and praying that he will make it. The doctor said he had him as stable as he could get him. He was surprised he is was even alive when he got to the house in the first place. The chances of Haze pulling through or ever waking up are pretty slim. It's all a waiting game now.

With my head against the wall, I can't help but wonder what's going on with Kendra. She still isn't back, nor has she called. I get up from the uncomfortable recliner and start pacing the room. In my head, I am begging both my mate and my best friend to be okay.

I look over at Haze, I silently tell him I will be right back. Turning away from him, I walk out the bedroom door and head for the kitchen. After making myself a sandwich, I grab a bag of flaming hot funions and head back to the room where Haze is. When I get to there, I go and sit back in the chair I have positioned next to the bed.

It takes a second for me to realize something is different. When I look up from my plate, I see Cole standing against the wall on the other side of the bed. The look on his face is one carved of stone. "Where is she?" He demands.

--------------------------------------
Let me know what you think.
.Jessi

Updated & edited 6/11/2018