Chapter Ten

Zayn is currently sitting in the waiting room of the police station, knee bouncing, and nerves building up in his stomach. The car ride with Harry wasn’t that bad because the older man was constantly trying to distract Zayn, and for the most part it worked.

“Malik...Zayn?” A detective working at the police station said while walking around the corner. Zayn’s eyes widen a bit before shakily raising his hand, to which the detective smiled sympathetically at. She looked rather nice Kind face, short/choppy hair, and a good five inches taller than Zayn. “Morning, buddy, I’m Detective Elias, but you can just call me Olivia,” Olivia says with a sweet smile that makes Zayn feel just a tad less nervous.

“Uh, hi, morning,” Zayn said while playing with his fingers and Olivia just smiles again before turning to Harry.

“And you’re his current guardian?” She asks the curly headed man.

“That is correct. He’s staying with me and my husband, we were his neighbors,” Harry says while extending his hand out to shake hers.

“Well if you two will follow me back here, I just want to talk to you, Zayn, for a little bit before we start asking you any questions. Sound good?” When Zayn nods, the three make their way into the office portion of the station and Olivia instructs Zayn to take a seat in her chair. “So Zayn, tell me about yourself, yeah?”

“Uh, I don’t know, my names Zayn and I’m fourteen and, uh, I don’t know,” the boy toys with a shaky voice.

“Relax, Zaynie, you’re okay, yeah?” Harry says while rubbing the boy’s back soothingly. “Why don’t you tell her about your art or football?” Harry suggest in a faint whisper and Zayn nods.

“I like art a lot. It’s, uh, fun,” Zayn speaks simply and both Olivia and Harry smile.

“Yeah? Maybe you can show me some of your stuff one day, huh?” Olivia says fondly and Zayn nods.

“I also play football, well I just started playing, so I’m not that good but yeah,” Zayn says but Harry cuts him off a bit.

“He’s actually really good! He’s the youngest person in his school to ever make varsity! No need to be modest here Zayn,” Harry says with a wide grin and Zayn blushes a bit which causes Olivia to chuckle some.

“I have two boys who play football as well, they play for Manchester Academy,” Olivia says and Zayn looks up curiously.

“That’s who I play for, who are your, uh, sons?” Zayn speaks up now.

“My eldest, Sam, is on varsity, and then my younger one, Kyle, is a year eleven on JV. Do you know them?”

“I know Sam, he’s one of the captains. H-he’s, uh, close friends with Liam I think?” And now Harry jumps in.

“I thought you looked familiar! Your son is at my house practically every weekend!” Harry says happily.

“I was wondering when you were going to recognize me Harry,” Olivia says with a small chuckle before being interrupted by another officer telling her that they can go to the interrogation room now. So Olivia leads the boy into a glassed off room but informs Harry that he’ll have to stay outside of the room during the questioning. “Alright Zayn, so there’s nothing to be nervous about. I’m gonna be in here the whole time with you and some people are just gonna ask you a couple questions. Answer honestly and if you don’t feel comfortable answering just tell me and I’ll try and get the people to ask a different question. Okay?”

When Zayn nods in understanding, Olivia gestures with her hand to come in and then two officers/detectives enter the room. One is dressed in nice dress pants with his shirt tucked in, while the other is wearing casual khakis and a well-fitted button down.