Chapter Nine

With the week coming to a close, Louis is just glad that he finished it in one piece. After much convincing, Louis finally managed to get Zayn to agree on staying home from school for the rest of the week, though the boy still insisted on going after school so he can at least hear what Louis tells them at practice. So now it’s Friday and Zayn is sitting in Louis’ office, spinning around in Louis’ chair mindlessly, while waiting for Louis, Liam and Niall all to finish getting ready. Louis quickly calls Zayn out once everyone is ready and the boy quickly starts walking to the car, only to hesitate a bit when he notices that there is more than four people walking out to the car. Zayn then slows his walk a bit so he’s next to Niall before awkwardly speaking up.

“Uh, Niall, why is everyone coming with us?” Zayn asks quietly.

“Just two guys are tagging along in our car since they’re spending the night after Liam’s party and didn’t feel like bringing their cars,” Niall says simply, not realizing Zayn wasn’t aware there was a party.

“Why is Liam having a party?”

“Cause it’s his birthday! Don’t you remember when he handed out the slips of paper that you need to get into our house like last week?” Niall said though Zayn just looks at him in a confused manner. That’s when Niall realizes that Liam was still ignoring him then so he probably never got invited, and now Niall just feels awkward. “Oh he probably forgot to tell you or something,” Niall quickly says hoping Zayn doesn’t feel as awkward as he does at that moment.

“I can go somewhere if he doesn’t want me there. I understand, after all I wouldn’t want a year ten at my 18th birthday party either,” Zayn says but Niall shakes his head.

“Relax, Zee, you’re fine! Liam doesn’t care that much,” Niall states simply before picking up his pace and walking into the car. Zayn quickly follows after the boy and awkwardly makes his way to the back of the car where the last empty seat is available. The car ride home is quick and loud but Zayn can’t help but feel as if it was eternal! But finally they arrive home and Zayn slowly makes his way into the living room where Harry is moving and rearranging furniture.

“Zayn care to help for a moment? I need to take this outside,” Harry asks the boy when he sees him and Zayn nods while going over to help lift the sofa. The two quickly get the thing outside and Zayn can’t help but admire the setup of the yard. Fairy lights are hanging from above, connecting from the upstairs balcony over to some light stands that Harry must have put out to help brighten the yard a bit, sofas are scattered around with elegant covers over them, and then there’s the food and drink section where a buffet style table is lined out waiting for food to be placed on it.

“Thanks for the help, Zee. Why don’t you go upstairs and relax for a bit?” Harry suggest while guiding the boy back in the house. Zayn nods his head while making his way upstairs but takes a small detour over to Liam’s room first where he hesitantly knocks on the door. A few moments later Liam answers the door with an annoyed look, expecting it to be Niall asking to borrow something again, but then his face softens when he sees it to be Zayn.

“Hey, Zayn, what can I do for you?” Liam ask while smiling at the boy affectionately.

“Um, so I was just wondering, I mean you probably don’t want a year ten here when you’re trying to have fun, so, um, if you like want me to leave I can go somewhere. I know you didn’t really want me here originally and I don’t want to like want to make it seem that I have to be here, I can le-” Liam cuts Zayn’s rambling off.

“Zayn I’m sorry. I’m really sorry, I was a jerk to you and I’ve left such a bad impression on you and that’s not what I intended to do! I want you to stay, honest, it would mean a lot to me,” Liam says sincerely.