16 Roots

Chris leads us straight to the private dining room, opening the doors and gesturing us in. Our group has split in half, leaving Kane and Willow with us as well as Hale, Benjamin, and Connor.

The rich aroma hits me before I see its source but two of the Omegas are finishing setting out two big pots of soup with fresh loaves of rustic-looking bread. Chris waits for no one and guides me to my seat, tucking me in before dishing up a steaming bowl of beef barley soup.

"Eat while we talk," he orders, taking the freshly sliced bread and offering me a slice.

I struggle to suppress a laugh, seeing Kane equally attentive. When we first met, he seemed hopeless, not having the first clue how to connect with Willow but they've both grown so much and are perfect together now.

"Sit, grab some food," Chris says, beckoning the men in. "Lena is a fantastic chef."

"Smells like it," Hale agrees, digging in.

"Soooo," I prompt, taking a bite of the warm bread.

"Willow, did your mom ever speak about where she came from?" Chris asks, keeping his voice neutral.

"My mom?" she asks, setting down her spoon. "Why are you asking about my mom?" Her voice is small and defensive, bordering on afraid and triggering her mate.

Kane slides his chair over close and takes her hands in his. "There's nothing to be afraid of babygirl," he coos. "It's important though."

They share a silent moment before she nods and takes a deep breath. "She didn't name the pack, but talked a bit about growing up there and how she wished I could see it..."

"Did she say why she left?" Connor asks, leaning in. The downright desperation radiating off of him is enough to make my gut twist painfully.

Willow shakes her head. "She never gave me the details, but said a bad man would hurt her family if she didn't leave."

"That fucker," Connor hisses, abruptly standing and pacing away from the table.

Hale immediately gets up and goes to his brother, laying a hand on his shoulder and whispering to him. Connor practically trembles in anger as he shakes his head.

"No!" he snaps at Hale. "I knew he did something! I should have done something, anything but let her go!"

Her eyes go wide as the pieces fall into place. "Y-you knew my mother?" she whispers, lifting her trembling fingers to her mouth.

Connor takes a deep breath, pushing his anger away and shifts his attention from his brother back to the fragile woman in front of him. Eyes locked, he nods, heartbreak replacing his temper.

"I did, long ago," he replies, pain lacing his words.

"But how?" she asks. Kane wraps his arms around her waist and pulls her onto his lap.

"Why don't we start from the beginning, hmm?" Kane murmurs.

Hale claps his brother's shoulder and motions for him to take a seat. Reluctantly, the man moves and takes his seat, but his gaze never leaves Willow.

"I suppose the story starts a long time ago. We were just kids back then but as tight as any. Me, Connor, Ben, Lyana, and Ivy," Hale starts as his eyes take on the mist of happy memories.

"We were inseparable," Ben adds with a smile. "These two were always up for adventure and trouble and the girls talking us out of the stupidest ideas..."

"When we came of age, Lyana and Ben turned out to be mates and shortly after, Connor and Ivy, leaving me the odd man out." Hale chuckles.

"You already know the struggles me and Lyana had," Ben adds, coughing at the end as memories choke him up. "Ivy ran into some trouble but hid it from us. One day she was just gone."