14 Pieces

Chris

"What do you mean, he doesn't know what's coming next!?" I growl, slamming my fist down on my desk. The thick wood groans under the force of impact but holds up.

"He was on reconnaissance," Derek grumbles, flipping through sheets on a clipboard. "He's given us a lot to go off of... I hate to say it but I believe him. They probably left him in the dark, knowing he was at high risk for capture."

"Three days, you've had him for three fucking days!" I palm my forehead, knotting my fingers in my hair as I wrestle with my temper. "Fuck man, putting Jess through that for nothing?!"

Outwardly, Jess looks the same as always, only adding to my concern. I watched her break, held her till she cried herself to sleep, then she's pulled on this mask.

How many times has she done this?

"He's not as clever as he thinks he is," Derek counters. "I think he's given away far more than he ever meant to. The information on what happened to Jess alone was worth it."

"Hearing the details of the abuse my MATE endured as they tried to find out what kind of supernatural she was is NOT worth it!" I snap. Cyrus ripples my skin, vying for control as his anger only adds to mine.

I need to shift and blow off some steam in the worst way possible but can't even do that. The moment I'm wild, he'll hijack control and finish what he started...

'Every breath that pitiful excuse for a man takes is one too many.'

"Maybe not to you, but for Nell to help Jess start to heal?" he asks, already knowing the answer.

I'd do anything for her, including keeping Cyrus on a short leash, so her sacrifice isn't in vain.

Jess has spent a lot of time with the vixens since the day she spoke with Tony. Overall, we try not to leave her alone with her thoughts, so when she's not with me or the Guardians she's with her friends.

"You said he let more slip than he meant to. Tell me you have something useful there at least." I drop back into my seat and lean my elbows on my desk, hoping for good news.

Derek grins, picks a paper out of his pile, and passes it to me. "They're behind it all," he announces. "I mean we thought the events were linked but now we know for sure."

I skim the paper, picking up key points about the attack in town when Jess was shopping, the Darklings, even the Golems. Hunters are known for their zealot approach to rooting out supernaturals, going to the extent of no matter the cost. Witches are their go-to conspirators, being on the outs with pretty much any others, but even then so many covens would just roast a hunter, not help them.

"Fucking Witches," I growl, pinching the bridge of my nose. "How can I protect Mira when Witches are helping the enemy like this?!"

Derek purses his lips and gives me a disapproving look. "The same way you protected rogues when they were also on Dimitri's side," he chides.

"Jess did that," I deadpan. At first, I wanted nothing to do with them, needing time and a little help from Willow to change my mind.

"So let her do it again," Derek replies with a shrug. "Your mate has the strength of a river in her. She can erode even the most stubborn of people with enough time."

"Except for those who refuse," I counter, glaring at him. He of all people should know how many people have come for her.

"And how'd that work out for them?" he asks with a sadistic smile.