18 Ripple

Leaves rustle in the evening breeze as I take in my surroundings. I feel a small smile tug at the corner of my lips, recognizing the small clearing we'd gone to for Mira and Sasha to practice in, but it's different now.

The full moon hangs heavy in the sky and the grass and trees are lush from midsummer growth. Breathing deep, the scent of damp moss and earth dominates the air while soft grasses tickle my bare feet.

It might not be the heart of the lake but it'll do...

I stroll towards the pond's edge, drawn by the shimmering moonlight dancing across the surface. To the left, a large weeping Willow cascades, its branches practically a waterfall into the water.

Frogs croak, crickets sing, and the endless chorus of the night lull me into a relaxed state. The way the warm summer's breeze caresses over my bare arms reminds me of the stark contrast from earlier today and its bitter icy bite.

Suddenly, the very air changes, it grows thicker and heavy. The sky clouds over, hiding the moonlight, and even the creatures of the night feel it, not uttering a single peep.

A shiver runs down my spine as I feel eyes on me. I turn towards the source of malice hidden deep in the growing shadows.

"You're getting sloppy Luna," Shadowman sneers, his voice echoing around the clearing.

"Show yourself," I growl, locking my eyes where I feel his essence.

He chuckles darkly, the tone grating on my nerves but I refuse to take his bait.

The shadows swirl and thicken, slowly taking on the shape of a man, tall and hunched over with age. He steps forward into the clearing, poisoning the very air around him.

Ember stirs, her hackles raised as she paces in the back of my mind, never taking her gaze off of the threat.

"Satisfied?" he asks, taking menacing steps towards me and away from the safety of his shadows.

"Hardly," I grumble, taking a step back.

Shadowman's lips twist into a sickening grin as he watches me step back. As my eyes adjust the pitch darkness, his features become more clear.

His silver irises, flecked with a red shine in the low light like ice match his energy perfectly. If hate, rage, and malice have a form then this would be it; he's every toxic and negative feeling all wrapped up into one rotten package.

Looking at him, he looks both ageless and ancient. His skin is a sickly grey, craggy, and sagging, but it makes him no less dangerous.

Far from it.

Those sinister eyes give him away, there's a ruthless cunning lurking under his frail frame.

"What do you want," I snap, fighting the instinct to run or fight.

"So very much." He sneers, slowly circling me.

I need every ounce of self-control to remain still and not react to his proximity. I feel the air ripple around us but shake my head, needing more time.

"That's not an answer," I challenge.

He straightens slightly, arching a brow and looking taken aback by my answer. His moment of surprise is quickly hidden by a harsh laugh as he rubs his hands together.

"So you've come to negotiate?" He spits, failing to hide his eagerness.

I grit my teeth and drop my gaze earning a grin as he takes the bait. "I'll ask again, what do you want."

"You begging me for answers is a good start." He chuckles. There's no warmth to his laughter, it just chills me further.

"I just came here to talk," I clarify, unable to hold my tongue any longer.