38 At Last

Chris

My palms sweat as I stand at the arbour with Jace by my side as my best man. The scenery is straight out of a fairytale as we stand surrounded by flowering apple trees on a perfect sunny spring day.

The way my heart races as I wait for Jess, you'd think I was going to battle instead of marrying the love of my life.

"Chill man," Jace teases, flashing me his signature playboy smile.

After watching the bridal party make their way up, my eyes follow Ethan and Lexi carrying our two month old twins, Sammy and Emma, as the ring bearer and flower girl. My breath catches when the music picks up. Jess comes into view and the world around me fades away.

She looks like she's been dressed by the very trees around us, in petals and flowers coming together to make her dress. I'm suddenly struck by how much she has changed in the last year, going from my flighty little farmer to a poised queen as she confidently walks towards us.

Mark pauses just shy of us, lifts her veil, then turns towards me, placing her hand in mine. His eyes lock on mine, full of emotion as he takes me in. "Take care of her," he chokes out.

"With my last breath," I promise.

Her honey gold eyes find mine and I'm a goner. No smokey eye or heavy makeup hide the real her. She's just my beautiful mate, the picture of health and happiness.

I struggle to listen to the officiant, too fixated on Jess. Her soft laugh and blush as she nods to the man standing in front of us snaps me back to reality as he stares at me expectantly.

Crap, I've fucked up my own wedding!

'Say you do, Jackass!' Kane belts out in my mind, laughing like a hyena.

"I do! With everything I am, I do," I blurt out, my gaze locked on hers. 'Awws' murmur from the gathered audience but my heart starts to hammer, knowing it's Jess' turn next. I've never wanted to hear two little words so badly in my entire life!

"And Jessica, do you take Christopher to be your lawful wedded husband..." His words fade once more as the sound of my heart hammering in my ears takes over. I forget how to breathe or what to do as I stare at her, waiting for those two little words

"I do," she whispers, smiling up at me. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, fighting the urge to sweep her away. She moves closer and I happily gather her up in my arms, pulling her flush against me. Her black cherry blossom and cinnamon scent swirls around us, making my mouth water.

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife." I don't wait for him to finish, tenderly lifting her chin and brushing my lips against hers. Reverend Thompson chuckles and shakes his head. "You may kiss the bride."

Jess snakes a hand up my chest before slipping it around the back of my neck and reaching up for another kiss. Her eagerness has me grinning against her lips in a heartbeat as I capture them properly. The crowd breaks out in cheers, but the noise fades away as I embrace my mate. Her lips move in sync with mine as our bond hums, happier and brighter than ever.

Reluctantly, I break apart, resting my forehead on hers with a stupid grin plastered on my lips. Cyrus howls in delight in the back of my mind. She is ours in every way possible and I'm hers, as the Goddess always intended.

"I love you more than anything," I whisper, caressing her cheek. Her hand settles on my chest over my heart as she nuzzles her nose against mine.

"I love you too, with all that I am." Her promise is simple and heartfelt and means everything to me. Jess is a woman of action over words, showing me her love every day in little ways, making the times she says it that much more profound.