7 Inbetween

Chris

A warm summer breeze blows across my skin and rustles the leaves above me, casting dappled sunlight through the canopy. My eyes are heavy and foggy with sleep as I struggle to wake up.

For the first time in I don't know how long, I feel completely at ease. Blinking my surroundings into focus, I realize I'm resting in a hammock, swaying in the breeze.

"Not yet," Jess whispers, snapping my attention to her.

Her eyes aren't open as she snuggles back against my side, curling in closer. My heart stops for a moment as I wrap both arms around her and hold her close.

"Better," she mumbles, resting her head against my chest. Her sweet black cherry blossom and cinnamon scent swirls around us, mixing with the lake and forest and relaxing me further.

Home...

I fight to keep my eyes open and awake but between the dappled sun making me squint and the gentle rocking, it's a losing battle.

Slowly, a melody begins to drift over the rustling of leaves and frogs, the notes so sweet they tug at some distant memory. As the melody gets stronger, the world around me begins to fade.

My heart begins to race and I grip Jess tighter but it's no use. In the blink of an eye, everything turns to dust and fades away.

"Breathe..."

I startle awake and the melody stops. Blinking and rubbing my eyes, the hospital room once again comes into focus.

It was just a dream...

"Welcome back." My attention snaps to the voice and I realize Chloe is speaking. "You were really out of it."

"I guess so," I mumble, rubbing my face as I take a deep breath. With each deep inhale, the world comes back into sharper focus.

"Good dream?" she asks, passing me a mug. The sharp scent of strong, black coffee greets me like a long-lost friend.

"Very... but too short," I admit, taking a long sip.

I take a moment to look around the room. Willow is on the opposite side of the bed, her long, blonde locks drawn back in a simple braid for once as she hums away with her hands on Jess' chest.

Jude is slumped awkwardly in his chair with a blanket over him, no doubt thanks to his mate. Kane and Damon stand off in the corner, whispering to each other as they keep a watchful eye on Willow.

"How long was I out?" I ask, cringing when my stomach growls.

Having thought of everything, Chloe grabs a plate from the side table filled with a wrap and veggies. I flash her a grateful smile, take the plate and dig in.

"All day, it's nearly six?" she mumbles, checking her phone. "Jude made it 'till two and it sounds like Ethan might have been out by the time you guys made it back to the room."

"Thank you, for everything." Chloe has been a blessing from the moment she joined us, but at times like this, her calming presence is everything.

"Of course," she says with a smile and tilts her head to Jess. "She's improving."

Cyrus bounds from the recesses of my mind, giddy as a puppy hearing the news, and I'm right there with him.

"That's the best news," I reply with a grin, giving Jess' hand a squeeze. Instantly, I notice how much stronger the sparks are.

The difference in her state is night and day. Her skin has mostly lost the grey cast, though it lingers near the wound, and her breathing is almost back normal.