Prologue 3

As of today, I am 3 months pregnant with my third child, who we will hopefully welcome in July. But first, we are home to celebrate not only the birth of Jesus Christ, or just Christmas, but also the very first birthday of our second born, Christian. He has fully adapted to 'Chris' now and the time has flown. His older sister, now three years old, cares for him a lot. Yes, she can be a little mean at times, especially when Chris will not stop crying and Emily tries to play with her toys.

The environment my own children grow up in is so different from the place where I grew up, and that is why Louis and I decided to take every one of our children to my birthplace on their seventh birthday. I find it important that my children know life is not always as beautiful and that they should be grateful for the luxury they have.

But first, we must decorate the Christmas tree. It is the biggest thing I have ever seen and it nearly touches the ceiling. The wooden decorations, chosen by me of course, are being hung everywhere. I am a little anxious when our servants get to the top but everyone comes out alive and once the candles light up, my worries disappear. The room is filled with the warm light of the fire and Emily comes running (she tries to run but falls every five steps) in to finally open her presents.

Louis walks in with Chris in his arms and Eve, the maid, hands me the very first present. Once we have unpacked every present under the tree and Emily's smile could not grow any brighter, we have dinner. Louis feeds Chris and I listen to Emily rambling about the game she played with her maid today. it reminds me of tomorrow, a tradition Daphne and I set up four years ago. Every second day of Christmas we come together to play Pall Mall in the snow. Nearly impossible of course, because your ball continuously gets lost in the snow but we love it. Particularly because it drives Anthony crazy when he loses again.

This year Kate will join us again, she was there two years ago for the first time and although she sucks at the game, she always manages to do better than her husband Anthony. The Bridgerton family is constantly growing... Eloise has indeed found her true love and after years of waiting and waiting, it finally happened. Last year, Colin Bridgerton and Penelope Featherington took each other's hands and walked down the aisle. It took a while, I will admit, and Hyacinth and I came up with several plans to get them together. It was true love though, that brought them together.

Benedict and Louis are the laid-back ones of the family, quietly observing and shaking their heads when someone says something stupid. I am relieved Louis gets along with the family so well, it would be seriously awkward if they secretly hated each other...