Chapter Eighteen

Eloise's point of view

Although I entirely support Olivia through this all, I find myself bummed by the idea of having to spend the whole day with my siblings, watching men ride a horse. Now, do not get me wrong, I love my siblings, but they do not exactly make it more exciting. Anthony is bragging over one of his friends competing today and I roll my eyes,

"do you truly have nothing more important to say, brother?" I sigh,

"excuse me?"

"oh, my apologies, Lord Bridgerton, is there anything more exciting in your life than the accomplishments of people you have not seen in ages?"

"Do you believe you are a better horse rider than lord Vershall?"

"Always lovely to be reminded of the fact that you never listen to a word I say.." I shake my head and after a little laugh from Benedict, we all stay silent.

Lady Danbury invites us over to sit with her and mama does not allow me to head over to Penelope, who is now stuck to her horrible sisters. Mama starts talking to lady Danbury and Hyacinth is irritating Gregory, as usual,

"Are you not enjoying yourself, sister?" Colin asks to tease,

"if these men could simply start riding already, they are purely showing their faces to the ladies here, hoping that can save them from the lack of talent.."

"Eloise! You cannot talk like that!" Colin says half-laughing,

"do you disagree brother? And now that we are discussing this, why are you not auditioning?"

"me? These men have been training for years, Eloise.."

"and yet they still suck.."

"Eloise!"

"oh look, they're beginning now" I smile, and Colin shakes his head,

"you are one hell of a sister you know that?"

"one of us had to tell the truth, be glad it is me and not you.." I look around and after Penelope and I waved the first auditioner begins.

We have been sitting for more than an hour and I am begging mama wants to return home soon. Unfortunately, she seems highly invested in this competition and we are only halfway through the auditioners,

"up next, for the first time, Mister William Williams" Blame the parents for naming their son like that, how could you?! The young man enters the course with grace and I notice this big hat covering his face, I cannot even see what he looks like. I look closer but all I can see is a bit of mouth, why does this man not use his pretty face to bribe the judge? Does he have a scar he needs to hide? Are we not allowed to know who he truly is? or is he the only one here with true talent, and does he not need his handsomeness to win?

He sets off and whatever reason he had to hide his face, it does not matter, because no one is looking at his face anymore. The way he flies himself over the obstacles is breathtaking if I may say so. It is not perfect, but it is certainly good, and maybe better than all the auditioners I have seen before. I look to the side and as surprised as I am, so bored seems Anthony, he is only rooting for his friends I see.

When William has managed to get himself over nearly all obstacles I start clapping and I cheer a little. Anthony gives me a death stare and tells me to stop, yet I keep on clapping a little. He gets closer to the last obstacle and so he gets closer to us, his head turns towards me and we make eye contact for less than a second. I nearly miss the fact that he hits the obstacle and I am backed away,

"Everything all right sister?" Colin asks when he sees my frozen face,

"yes, of course" I smile and I try to get back into the moment, all I saw were his eyes, I should have looked at his face but I did not. I see him finish the course and my heart is beating a little faster, "do you know this man Colin?"

"no, I do not. And I do not think anyone does. May I ask why you want to know?"

"no. you may not" I answer directly and from that moment on, searching for Lady Whistledown is in the past, I will spend my time finding out who this mysterious William Williams is because something tells me that may not be his actual name...

And as it turns out, I am not the only one...

Dear readers,

Today we witnessed the very first round of this season's horseriding competition, and although it was not as exciting as I hoped, someone certainly made an appearance today. I think we all know whom I am referring to, yet no one seems to know who this man is. I am talking about mister William Williams, may God punish his parents for that awful name. he was the absolute star of the afternoon and for many, he was the real gentlemen out there. It was not only his nearly flawless riding ability, it was his hat covering his face that took the attention of most visitors.

Like many others, I have never heard of him before and yet he was the first one to be announced to enter the quarter-finals next week. The young girls of the ton would like to know more about this man, this man could be a possible suitor for them and who would not want such a good horserider without an ego by their side for the rest of their life?

Well, I think we shall see. I, Lady Whsitledown, will try her very best to uncover this man and answer all your many questions. Oh, and may the best rider win this year's competition. I think you may already guess whom I am betting my money on...

Yours truly,

Lady Whistledown

................................

NOTE: Hii, sorry for the late update, somehow I wasn't able to add a new chapter which was weird (idk if I'm the only one who had this problem) but today it's gone so I hope you like it :) okay byee <3