Chapter Thirty

Louis's point of view

Dear readers,

Besides the usual gossip about the beautiful young woman and the handsome bachelors that have entered society, I also find it my duty to report any news that has to do with our royal highness, the prince of England. Because as I have heard it, Olivia Bridgerton may not be the only rebel in the year's ton. If these rumors are true then the prince of England was aware of miss Bridgerton's scheme from the moment it began. Secret witnesses have seen the young man in nothing but stable-boy clothes!

As it appears, the prince spent his time in the stable before he was ordered to enter society. As we suggest, he met miss Bridgerton during this time, and he may have even helped her come through the competition. Of course, these are only rumors, and the only one who can give us the honest answer is the prince himself. But I believe if he is asked, the most wonderful lies will exit his mouth, trying to cover up his deeds.

A prince as a stableboy, assisting a young girl to do something illegal, that shall be the biggest scandal of all times. This author surely understands why the prince would keep his mouth shut, although I would die to hear his side of this to be uncovered. It will be found disgusting and most of all, not prince-like behavior by all of the desperate moms walking around, but I disagree. Because what is more charming than a man, a gentleman, supporting a woman to become her very best self? I have not found the answer yet, but all attempts are welcome. Good luck.

Yours truly,

Lady Whistledown

"Louis, dearest, tell me this is a lie?" my mother stands across me, holding the newest Lady Whistledown in her gloved hands,

"I apologize mama"

"I do not want an apology, my boy, tell me you did not help that reckless girl!"

"reckless? Mama, you are a woman, out of all you should know she is simply.. brave..." I speak from my heart,

"This shall ruin your reputation..."

"my reputation? As for what? Anti-feminist?"

"as a PRINCE. Because that is what you are."

"well, I never chose to be. Did I? I did choose to help her, and I will NEVER regret it."

"no? then where is she now?"

"she is... I do not know where she is"

"well I do, my boy, she is sent away from the Bridgertons, she will live on the street her entire life! Is that what you wanted?"

"...what?" I fall silent, they sent her away?

"one more ball, tonight, and then she leaves"

"how do you know this mama? Are you sure this is not a lie?"

"no, my dear, it is certainly not a lie"

"This is all my fault..."

"your fault? No, this is not your fault. You are simply going to tell everyone you had no idea it was her"

"you want me to lie?"

"of course I do, my son, what else could we do?"

"tell the truth, tell everyone she was right!"

"you are not in love with her are you?" she looks me in the eyes and I feel my heartbeat fasten,

"I only wish to help"

"you can help me, by staying silent"

"We should do what is right mama! We should take her into our home!"

"Louis, what is wrong with you?!"

"wrong? With me?" I ask calmly, "what is wrong with all the other people who blame a 17-year-old girl for showing all of us we had been wrong all along? What is wrong with the Bridgertons for sending a girl, who lost her parents, out onto the world alone? What is wrong with you mama, for being so cold-hearted?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"you used to be my everything, you helped me through my entire life and now that you have the chance to do what is right, you do what is wrong.."

"... you are right. And guess what, the decision is up to you. Do whatever you believe is right. But do not come to me when it turns out that she does not love you back and the whole world is falling onto your shoulders. It is your responsibility now, my son."

.......

It is the night of the ball, I have decided to wear my best clothes, the prettiest I have. It is a uniform, all white with a tiny bit of red and blue finishing the masterpiece. I have only worn it before once, at some sort of ceremony, I can not recall what it was for. I only know that I felt watched, in a good way, and that I felt strong like there is courage hidden into the clothes.

I step into the carriage and for the first time in my life, I feel a kind of nervous I have not yet experienced. I am excited for what could all be good, yet I am terrified for what could all be wrong. I know Olivia does not wish to be saved, yet I am on my way to attempt and save her, so I wish she lets me.

I enter the ball and I am one of the first ones to arrive, making it hard for me not to be recognized. I heavily try to escape all the mother shoving their daughters into my face and I excuse myself to the food table. I notice someone coming into the room from above the stairs and I instantly recognize the Bridgerton family. Only there is one person missing, the person I hoped most to see, Olivia.

Anthony walks past me and I decide to let him go, I target Benedict,

"Mister Bridgerton, may I ask you a question?"

"your highness, of course, you may"

"where is your cousin, Olivia?"

"do not worry, your grace, she will not harm your reputation" he fires, definitely angry,

"I would like to speak to her"

"I am not surprised, but she may not be able to come, as my brother told her to get herself a carriage and has forbidden our staff to lend one from the house" he sounds annoyed at his brother,

"I see, my apologies for asking" I give him a tight smile and quickly walk over to one of our servants,

"Your highness, what may I do for you?"

"get a carriage to the Bridgerton house, make sure miss Olivia Briderton comes in it to the ball"

"your grace, are you sure-.."

"YES, I AM SURE. Now go."