Chapter Six

Eloise's point of view

It is silent in the carriage back home; all family members seem overwhelmed by the words of the queen and Olivia and I have not been able to talk to each other. I long for her voice, for a joke that makes me forget about this life I do not want, like she did before. I find it stupid that I must marry, if I could, I would enter university but.. that is only for the men in our society. I could come up with a dozen of arguments why this is unfair, but I do not think anyone, besides Penelope of course, will listen to my ideas.

We arrive back home, and I attempt to find Olivia, yet my attempt fails considering the huge amount of staff coming our way and all the questions they are asking. Mama answers them for me, but Olivia is out of sight and Eve, my maid, takes me to my room and gets me out of the way too tight dress I was wearing. I was very used to wearing something that covers me a little more, but mama would not have that for the queen.

When I am in my regular clothes again someone knocks on the door,

"Eloise? It is me, Olivia... can I come in?" she sounds unsure,

"yes, please" she slowly opens the door, and we sit down, she clearly has something on her mind,

"Eloise, I just wanted to say that I-..."

"thank you" I interrupt,

"thank you...?"

"thank you, for standing in the spotlight today, for giving me the opportunity to disappear for a little longer. And thank you, for being here with me" she was so beautiful today, I heard the whispers, I know what will be in Whistledown's paper today and I could not be happier. Now that all eyes are on her, I may be able to find something true,

"I thought.. I thought you would be angry at me.. because you have been preparing for this your whole life and suddenly I come in here and..." she trembles and I smile,

"I don't want to shine like you, I don't even want a husband yet. And now, because of you, I won't be pressured as much. I do not think you know how big of a task is relying on you from now on but, if you ever need me, I'm right here" I never talk like this, I try not to bother, or at least sound like I don't. But Olivia sacrificed her own future so that I can be free, and she deserves all the help she can get.

We talk for a little longer until Hyacinth storms into my room while holding something in her hand,

"Lady Whistledown! She already wrote!" I can see Olivia's muscles tighten and together we read the paper,

Dear readers,

Today was a very special day, all 200 young ladies have presented themselves to the queen and where some were shining bright, others could not handle the spotlight. I am now referring to miss Weaver who could not handle the pressure and made a waterfall behind her eyes flow. She and her sister will most likely not find much luck after this unfortunate incident, but we must never lose hope.

Two young ladies who did have a wonderful afternoon were, as we were all expecting, the two girls from the Bridgerton family. The almost eighteen-year-old Eloise certainly made some heads turn and was surprisingly unstubborn. Yet, it was her cousin who truly secured the Bridgerton family name. We now finally know how to properly address her, miss Olivia Bridgerton.

Some may had their doubts, considering her unknown past, but this young woman proved all of them wrong. Her dress was outstanding but did not take anything away from her natural beauty and most importantly, her eyes, blue as the sea. It was the flawless look she provided and the confident steps she took that made the queen stand up from her beloved chair and say the words that, I am sure, will not leave miss Bridgerton's thoughts soon, "exquisite, my dear"

I would be a fool if I did not think both the girls will find themselves a lovely husband in a short amount of time. Though, we have learned from their older sister and cousin, to never make haste when love is involved. Let us hope there will not come any scandal in their way and may they become blissful brides by the end of summer.

Yours truly,

Lady Whistledown

I am finished reading and I cannot help but look at Olivia, at the smile she is trying to hide because she feels bad. Lady Whistledown's words are something she should be proud of and, although I would not have mind for my name not to appear at all, this way I will not get any criticism from my older brother. Olivia looks up at me,

"Eloise, can I ask you something?"

"go ahead"

"you do not wish to marry, do you?"

"it is complicated really, the concept of marrying in the world we live in is.. odd. I think we all are capable of something more than serving our men, we can do better, Olivia"

"I understand. I think"

"there is only one reason that would make me say 'yes' to a man and make him my husband.."

"love.. I suppose? For him to treat you like.. a princess and make you feel appreciated.."

"nearly, yes. But I would like for him to treat me like a queen"

"then you shall marry a king" she smiles at me, almost proudly, and for a moment I believe I may have a true future on this planet,

"you did extremely good today Olivia, don't let anyone tell you different if you can"

"thank you, Eloise. And you just assure there will not be any preposterous men asking for your hand, because they truly think they deserve you. Which they do not." We laugh,

"I will try my best, knowing that I enjoy reading scares away the biggest part"

"looks like you will have to punch the other few in their face then.." Olivia keeps a straight face and try not to burst,

"I do not think mama will allow that from me"

"well, luckily, I have always wanted to use my fist for something meaningful" by her calm voice and hilarious words I start to realise this summer may not be bad at all, she will love meeting Penelope...