Chapter Four

Anthony's point of view

I spent the last week with Olivia as much as I could, though I'd rather spend my time on other activities, it was my duty to make sure she would not ruin our family name. Olivia had a lot to learn, she could not even properly stand up tall and her manners were far from acceptable,

"straighten your back" I demand,

"I am straightening my back" she sighs annoyed,

"you're clearly not. Now shoulders up" I command,

"like this?" she raises her shoulders to her ears, and I give her a stare,

"Olivia, I am trying to help you. I am using all my time on you, and I do this in your best interest. Why can you not work with me?"

"I can, but I only will once you start treating me as your equal, cousin"

"I am teaching, you are my student, there is nothing equal about that"

"I try to tell you we're both human beings, with the exact same goal. If you could just treat me nicely, I will act the way you want me to" she has a point,

"okay, you win. Olivia, could you please move your shoulders upwards?"

"yes, Anthony" she now stands tall, and I can see the spot-on posture she possesses. She was right, and I hate to admit that I was wrong.

We work on her bow, her speaking and her walking. When I find her ready enough for the queen, mother takes her to the modiste with Eloise. We leave the dancing for what it is, the first ball she will attend is further away and I prefer Colin or Benedict teaching her. In the end, they are the ones who usually dance.

Olivia's arrival was not the most fortunate incident I must admit, but she has already improved and is willing to learn. I am glad she goes along with Eloise well; they will be at each other's side for a long period of time and though they may be rivals, they have got to pull each other through. It would be inappropriate of me to choose a side, yet I can't help but know Olivia will always come second, especially when our family name is in danger.

........

Dear Readers,

Tomorrow it will be the most important day of the year for more than 200 girls here in England. The queen has made herself ready to welcome the young ladies and inspect them, deciding who will be this year's diamond and who is starting off the season two steps behind. Preparations are now coming to an end which means the nerves are getting to come.

It has come to my ear, that this year not only miss Eloise Bridgerton, but a cousin of hers will attend several balls as well. I do not have a name yet, but rumours go she does not have a shot standing aside the gorgeous and witty Eloise. She comes from a world of serving instead of being served and no man will be surprised if her arrival in London leads to massive scandal.

More news about the famous Bridgerton family regards the duke of Hastings who, after the coming home of his wife Daphne, will return to London too. This news may bring hope, we have learnt from last season the duke and duchess are not afraid of hosting a grand ball. Maybe multiple ones.

Yet, it is all to be determined, and I hereby pledge to bring report of all activities taking place during this year's social season. Let us pray we get to see wonderful proposals, many couples will form and may a scandal shock us all. Because what is a day without a mistake?

Yours truly,

Lady Whistledown

..........

I am sitting in the living room, listening to Daphne playing the piano when George, our servant, walks in,

"The duke has arrived" before the man has ended his sentence Daphne is up from the piano and quickly follows him, as do I.

"Simon" I see my sister kissing the man I once saw as nothing more than a friend, never expecting him to become a part of my family,

"Hastings" I smile as I give him a rough hug,

"Bridgerton.." just like old times, "I heard you have a new Bridgerton to take care of?"

"she is perfectly capable of taking care of herself, but indeed, Olivia arrived here last week" as the words roll out of my mouth I hear the door behind Simon being opened and mother walks in, followed by a giggling Eloise and a smiling Olivia. I stop myself from blaming Olivia on making such an odd first appearance in front of the duke when I notice the sparkle in Eloise's eyes.

I wonder how long it has been since she was truly happy, I know Eloise does not wish to enter society because she believes she is capable of something more than marrying and giving birth. I used to tell her it was nonsense because it was just 'the way society worked', but now that I see the joy she gets from being free, I start to regret holding her back all this time.

Olivia and Eloise bow for Simon and try to conceal their laughter,

"pleasure to meet you, your grace. I am Olivia Bor-.. Bridgerton, Daphne's cousin"

"You can call me Simon from now on, and the pleasure is all mine..." I smile relieved, Olivia did well, she seems ready to enter society. I just hope the queen won't spoil all the hard work tomorrow...