Chapter One

I'm sitting in the carriage and I can feel the change of roads beneath me, we're entering the city now. I look outside, women dressed in gowns I could never afford walk around chattering, almost all holding the same piece of paper. It has been ten years since the last time I was here and it was only briefly, yet I remember just why I was here, the same reason I am here again; one of my parents passed away.

I was six when my mother got sick and turned seven right before she lost the battle. I can barely recall those days; my father never spoke about and so I never asked. Ten days ago, it was my father's turn. Now this may sound odd, but my father got hit by the same disease, dying about five months later. Father and I weren't close but, he was all I had, and I was all he had. We had each other.

I am now on my way to my aunt, who hasn't spoken to me since the day of her sister's funeral. Father and I got abandoned, caused by the lack of money and manners. Thereafter, we moved to a village and lived our easy life, we didn't have much but, I got all I wanted. My life will change, now that I will enter the noble house of none other than the Bridgertons.

I cannot remember what any of my cousins look like, some of them I have never even met. All I have is a vague moment of another young girl, about my age and my length. We had a few seconds of eye contact and then we nodded at each other, as if we wanted to show each other some support. After the funeral, My dad cried for weeks and had never become the same man, the fire in him had been blown out.

I am still in possession of his last name, Borough, but I am certain that will not be much longer. I will be asked to fit in, and from that moment on, people shall address me as a Bridgerton, Olivia Bridgerton.

The carriage makes it to a stop and when my curiosity takes the best of me, I take a look and reach with my hand for the door. The moment my fingertips touch the wood I flinch back. I am not supposed to do that, I am ought to wait for a male servant to open the door for me and I will slide out gracefully. Though 'graceful' is not particularly how men would describe me, I do not have a different choice than to make it my best attempt.

As I predicted, the door is being opened for me and I thank the man in red, he gives me a brief nod and while wearing my most appropriate dress I make my way towards the London ground. I manage not to either fall or faint and after watching the servant take out my luggage I look at the family waiting outside for my arrival.

.....

The Bridgerton family watches closely as their new family member arrives, Anthony and Violet give each other a slightly disappointed look when the gown is shown, not on their level. With the reputation Olivia has in the household, they all expect her to either trip or at least visibly struggle to get out of the carriage. Nothing could be less true; her minor messy appearance turns out to be a disguise to hide her actual grace. Her steps are small but provide confidence and she stands up tall while turning her head to the side.

Reassuring her own safety, she looks to both left and right before crossing the street, having the man who carries her luggage right behind. Whilst she avoids being ridden over by another carriage, the 9 Bridgertons make up their mind, do they give up on the abandonment from years ago, or will this house never be Olivia's actual home...

......

Only one more step until I reach the pavement and I will be forced to present the best possible version of myself. A dozen thoughts cross my mind, but I stay focused on why I am here, father has passed, they are the only family I have left. This may not be the most appreciated option, but it is the choice I made, knowing my chances at leading a successful live is nearly an impossible task if men lives in an orphanage.

I have the fear to be rejected by every word coming out of my mouth, which concluded in the decision to talk as little as possible. Miss Bridgerton takes a step forward when I come to a stop and I make a minimal bow, not knowing what my position is,

"No need to bow my dear, welcome" she gives me a sincere but tight smile, I cannot yet figure out whether she despises me or not, "As you know, I am Miss Bridgerton, but you may call me Violet. Colin will show the room you are staying in, whereafter you shall introduce yourself to us all"

"of course" I nod and try not to look tightened up by her words. Considering that I have not seen this part of my family for over ten years, I expected them to be of knowledge that, though I am sure he is a fine man, I do not know who Colin is. I take a proper look around and a young man, estimated about 22 years old, gives me an encouraging smile. I smile back and take the risk of not asking and simply walking up to him, praying this man is Colin...