Chapter 23

By the time evening fell over the land of Forbache and the sun began to sail to its nocturnal abode over the horizon, the insurgent force had won a decisive victory over the hordes of Innutuk. With their unconventional tactics and the extreme adaptability of their smaller units, they soundly defeated the bloated and rigid formations of their Innutukian foes. Dustin could claim no large part in their triumph, but nonetheless, he considered it an honor to have played any hand in forcing the rare sight of an Innutukian retreat.

With the clamor and tumult of war having died down, Dustin felt the twilight carried some measure of eeriness with it. No longer did the shouts and cries of man and beast alike fill the air. The hammering of metal on metal had faded into memory. Now all was silent as the rebels gathered the bodies of their fallen and the wounded finally earned the medics' full attention.

Meanwhile, Dustin stood with Michelle at the edge of the crescent-shaped moat that had once served as a defensive barrier for the stronghold that had since fallen. The two stared thoughtfully at their reflections in the water without speaking a word for quite some time, both equally weary from war. And on Dustin's part, his mind churned for words to express the intentions of his heart.

Finally, he broke the silence with a cough. "Surely such a victory gives you hope, does it not, Michelle?"

Without breaking eye contact with her reflection, Michelle nodded. "I see our victory as likely, rather than merely possible."

"That's certainly pleasing to hear. I would say you needed that morale boost, then."

"I do."

Dustin glanced over at Michelle with a tired smile. Even with her dark locks a sweaty mess and her face riddled with exhaustion, she couldn't help but be endlessly beautiful in his eyes. Once again, he harbored the thought Monterayne had never had a queen quite like her.

"Now my mind can't leave thoughts of the future." Dustin muttered, "For both your nation and my own."

"Understandably so. This is a new era for Forbache, a new challenge for Monterayne, and the beginning of the end for the Empire."

"That is certainly the hope. Jude was undoubtably correct about one thing."

Michelle finally glanced up and locked eyes with Dustin. "About what?"

"For better or worse, my involvement in the things that transpired here will be taken as Monterayne allying herself with the Empire's enemies."

"We're not enemies of the Empire, your highness. We simply demand the liberty stolen from us be given back. But nonetheless, I agree. Monterayne is no longer neutral, no matter what her king may say about it."

Dustin chuckled. "I suppose I've made quite the mess for my father to sort out."

Michelle's lips shifted into a kind smile. "No doubt a great storm rages between you two, but all is well in the end."

"I certainly hope so. And speaking of great storms, Innutuk hasn't been pushed out of Forbache yet; what will become of the insurgence in the months to come?"

"Tragically, most of the leadership council is stricken down in battle." Michelle said with sadness, motioning to the heap of bodies a ways off, "I'm asked to lead the rebellion now."

"Oh, is that so? Will you?"

"It's...a burden few can carry, and I don't think I can. But I owe it to my people to at least try."

Dustin laid a reassuring hand on Michelle's shoulder. "You have my full confidence. To me, you are the finest Forbache has to offer."

"Why thank you, your highness. You don't speak such words lightly."